Connecting 2 tanks with an aqua bridge /siphon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I'm new to the site and new to fish keeping. I have a 60 litre tank at the minute, just after finishing cycling it and in the process of stocking it. 2 tetras 3 catfish and a Pleco at the minute.

I have another 60 litre tank in the attic and I was thinking of setting the two up side by side connected by a siphon or aqua bridge. Each tank has their own cartridge filter and heater. I would like to keep the water in both tanks the same so I want to pump from one tank to the other. The water would then flow through the siphon into the first tank again meaning it would be like one body of water.

I am wondering has anybody here done this? And what flow rate would I need to be pumping between the tanks?

Also if anybody can see any potential problems with this set up?

Thanks

Why bridge them? Just seems like adding one more thing that could potentially fail and give you Un needed problems??

Hi brookster123

Would it be easier to maintain one larger body of water than 2 smaller volumes. Or am I thinking about this wrong?

Like a sump setup? I see your reasoning, I just don't think it will benefit much, also by joining the two tanks if one has an issue they both have issues.

If you're going to pump water from one tank to the other and the siphon stops which can happen if your water level drops, you will have a flood since the pump will keep filling the one tank with no connection to the other.
If each tank has their own filter why join them?
As far as the aqua bridge, I have seen them but I think is most for aesthetic/conversation piece than anything else.

Hi brookster123

Would it be easier to maintain one larger body of water than 2 smaller volumes. Or am I thinking about this wrong?

I'm thinking everytime you do a water change or the water level drops, you break the siphon, not sure what you'll gain from this.

The problem if you pump water from one to the other is that it may result a flood. Your return line must not be a siphon, but must be something like an overflow... Like something that's really "Connecting" the tank.

There's some tutorial on how to make PVC Overflow Siphon...

That should look like this ...
overflow-1.jpg

The problem if you pump water from one to the other is that it may result a flood. Your return line must not be a siphon, but must be something like an overflow... Like something that's really "Connecting" the tank.

There's some tutorial on how to make PVC Overflow Siphon...

That should look like this ...
overflow-1.jpg

Right, you might be pumping more water than you can siphon back.
With the overflow, it's something like a sump filter design.

This model is a "siphon on demand" thing... For sure it need to have capacity to siphon more water than what you'll pump. Tommyk, note that you have cons and pro from linking your tanks.

If you get ick in one the the two tanks, you'll have it in all your tanks. But you'll have same water conditions in both tanks. But why do you want the two tanks to have same parameters ???

Anyway, what you want will don't help you with water changes. If it's for maintenance time saving, then I would invest to a pyton water changer instead...

Thanks for all the information

My plan was to use a 2 or 3 inch PVC pipe in a inverted u shape, with both of the ends near the bottom of the tanks which should mean that the siphon wouldn't be broken during water changes and would keep the level in both tanks even, the same principles as a water bridge. I had planned on hiding this under a new lid which would cover both tanks.

This might seem like a stupid question but how does an overflow work, do I need a sump underneath the tanks. I was hoping to get away without this?

Overflow is a pipe where top of the water fall in.

Your idea on making a revert U shape what go ends near the bottom of both tanks should work. But you have to make sure the siphon is siphon. So you'll need to prime it first time.

If it's only for waterchanging then you won't need a pump to make it work, levels in both tanks will always be the same, balanced.

Back
Top Bottom