Convict Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a convict cichlid in a tank with a blue gourami and she (convict cichlid) would always pick on the blue gourami a lot. Today I just went to the lfs and then bought a male convict cichlid. I put him into the tank and the female started to pick on him a pick and the male wouldnt then bite at her a few times. They would moves around together sometimes and while they bite eacher other some tissues are seen coming out from the gills area. They stick out a bit and then when they move away from each other it stops. What's going on? Oh yea, the blue gourami isn't picked on much anoymore.

Convicts (Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum) can be really mean to other fish, sometimes to the point of killing and eating the other fish. This aggression is intensified when there is a mating pair. Convicts will produce huge amounts of eggs/fry and defend them violently.

Your convicts could be bonding and preparing to mate. If they are, all your other fish could be in serious danger very soon.

Convicts are neat fish, but not many other fish can get along with a mating pair.

Here, here and here is some more information.

Thanks for the info. Think feeding them frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp will induce spawning?

It will be tricky getting the convicts to get along with each other, let alone with any other fish in a 10 Gallon. Make sure there are lots of places to hide.

I bet they will breed though, especially with some live or frozen food mixed in. Lots and lots of water changes will be good too.

Good luck!

I used to have a pair of convicts and a pair of flame gouramis in a 12 gallon tank. My convicts were fiercely protective of their fry and often ate the gouramis fry. I ended up seperating the convicts and the gouramis because they were really getting rough. Even without the presence of fry the convicts were agressive. I now have a 12 gallon with a pair of convits in it and I gave my gouramis to my friend across the hall in the dorm.

Is it normal for Convicts to dig? My female andmale convict dug a little pit. They dug all the way down to the bare glass. I never experienced this kind of behavior before. Do they have some parasites on them causing them to scratch against the rocks?
I don't have much places to hide. The plants aren't very big yet. I have like only 7 plants total. The blue gourami isn't getting picked on much. It hangs around the top of the tank and the pink convict rule every place else. Every time she goes lower she gets kicked out. If she goes above the pit the female chases the gourami away. What's going on?

It will be tricky getting the convicts to get along with each other,
My female convict follows the male and bites it sometimes and sometimes its the other way around. They are usually together unless either one of them is chasing the gourami or they are getting food. I'm feeding them bloodworms right now. Should I switch to brine shrimp and then switch back and repeat?

In my experience with Convicts is when they dig they are preparing to spawn. They will make a nice pit to keep the fry in and easily protect them. I would expect to see eggs within the week. As for aggression, my Convicts have always seemmed somewhat aggressive with each other (I guess its just in their nature), but not to the point of fin damage. Just a lot of chasing around the tank.

Whee! Here I come to save the day!

The digging means they're getting ready to spawn. When you find the glass covered with gravel again, expect fry within 2 days.

I cannot stress the following enough: Buy a larger tank!!!

Convicts grow to a max size of 5 inches. If you don't get a larger tank with more room, they will have a stunted growth rate, which will affect their lifespan and health. It will also increase territorial aggression and make it harder on the fry and any other fish you keep.

You need a minimum of a 20 gallon tank. Adn that is just for the convicts alone. My friend has some breeders in a 40 gallon with a few other fish and during spawning (which is pretty much all the time) the big male goes on a rampage and my firend needs to add a tank divider so the others can survive. I doubt you gourami will survive once the eggs are layed and if they hatch.

I can't get another tank. My parents won't let me buy another one. They covered the glass too well most of it.

Convict cichlids can and do live peacefully with other fish. However you must do a few things to create the best environment for them. From 17 Jan 2002 to 16 Dec 2003 I've had a convict cichlid living in my 55 gallon tank with many other fish including mollies, diamond tetra's, and a lemon tetra. Because of injuries I believe were inflicted by my turtle I moved him to my 20 gallon tank to recover. He has been living there peacefully with a half inch long guppy and an algea eater. There is not a lot of coverage in this tank and the guppy has swam close to his mouth and he simply doesn't react. This convict cichlid was about one fourth inch long when I bought him and is now about 6 inches long.

As others have mentioned one of the main keys is to provide enough space so that they can establish a territory that isn't the entire tank. I have two female convict cichlid's in my 55 gallon tank also and was expecting problems but I don't think they ever spawned.

I should note, single males or groups of female convicts are generally fine. I have a male that lives with three oscars, and I think he (And the oscars) think he's just another oscar ;)

Multiple males and breeding pairs are what you have to watch out for. The males will probably fight, and a breeding pair will definately fight to protect their territory. The key to keeping multiple males or breeding pairs with other fish is a LARGE tank, so that there's room for all the fish to have territories, or at the very least room for fish that don't really claim one to stay out of the convict's space.

Back
Top Bottom