Convict Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Early today while I was walking through the LFS I decided to some fish to my nearly empty 46 gallon. I saw some small convict cichlids and decided to try them again. I bought a pair of them. One of them I think is a female since it's small and has a orange colored patch on her stomach. The other I'm not so sure. It is bigger than the female, but when I look closely I notice 3 or 4 orange dots. Do some males have a few orange dots?

The other I'm not so sure. It is bigger than the female, but when I look closely I notice 3 or 4 orange dots. Do some males have a few orange dots?

IMO you likely have two females. Is the orange on the tummy? What kind of convicts are they?

They are the dark colored ones with the black stripes. Its more of a pale orange color. If it's likely that they are both female then I'm going to take one back and try to pick out a male. Which one should I take back? The bigger one or the smaller one?

I'd take back the one you are hesitant on. Pink/orange on the belly and sometimes dorsal fin is a sure sign of a female.

Males are usually larger, less colorful, and have longer fins than females do.

HTH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom