copper question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Long time no see. Been a while since ive been on since i closed my reef shop and moved on to pursue my life goals but anyways. I never ran into this question until now. IF my hospital 55 has had copper in it before and now i want to make it a reef will the vinegar bath be enough or will the silicone still hold the copper and leach it into my tank? Might be dumb but ive never though about it before thanks for the help.

PS I was going to post it in another area but it seemed the reef section fits my needs more than any other section since it pertains to the leaching into a reef tank.

Happy Reefing

I've never used a copper medication, but from my understanding you may need to preform a bleach cleaning? I'm against using heavy chemicals and stuff as such in my tanks, so I've never run into this problem.

On a side note: Where In Florida was your shop?

I;d def run some cupra sorb through it to be sure. That will pull out any left over copper. :) Then just test water thats in it and see if anything is left.

I;d def run some cupra sorb through it to be sure. That will pull out any left over copper. :) Then just test water thats in it and see if anything is left.

Silicone is really really not going to absorb enough copper to affect anything. That's one of the reasons it's used for everything, it doesn't absorb hardly anything.

True, but I am of the school of thought better safe than sorry. I think cuprasorb is like $10 which isnt alot really. Thats just what I would do though, I may be a bit extra OCD when it comes to stuff like this though lol

True, but I am of the school of thought better safe than sorry. I think cuprasorb is like $10 which isnt alot really. Thats just what I would do though, I may be a bit extra OCD when it comes to stuff like this though lol

hehe I'd just hit the water with some prime :)

I'm usually in the exact same school of thought as you are btw :)

A mysterious death of a 100 dollar coral isn't something I'd ever want to deal with. I'd want to either treat like Carey said or just use a different tank.

Thanks guys and gals. I'll scrub it down and try it with some cheap palys I've got on frag plugs in my other tank. If they take well to the water I'll start adding the cheap stuff first. I haven't ever heard of silicone absorbing copper but I was just making sure

Back
Top Bottom