Coral care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanker99

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm looking to buy some coral. I just want to know what to test for and to keep up with. I know calcium and alkalinity are a must. Any good brands out there to buy? Test kits also?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How old is your tank?
What lights do you have?
How are the nitrates and phosphates?

If you have a budget, get salifert kits. If you can spend more, get Hanna kits. API is crap. Very inaccurate.

You need to test Magnesium and Phosphates in addition to PH, Ca, Nitrate and Alk. You could also invest in a PH meter to continuously monitor. I went overboard and got a salinity monitor as well.

It's about 7 months old. I have a par 38 over the top. I only have it set at 40% and it goes all the way to 90% but it's really strong. All the nitrates and phosphates are zero.

Thanks prettyfishies that's what I'll do more research on for sure!! API is crap your right.

Hey where do you find those test kits?

If your equipment is right for corals I recommend Hanna Checkers for calcium and Alk. They are $50 each which is steep at first but in the long run you save by just buying more reactant fluid than buying more test kits. If you don't want to spend much i also like Red Sea.

Thank you Grizz just found that website the other day. What should I use for supplements to get the cal and alkalinity up to the right readings?? Also is any other supplements I should buy before getting more coral?

And I'm thinking mostly sps corals and I'll throw some lps in there. I want somewhat of a mixture.

I jumped ship from API to Salifert and Hanna today (well, the UPS guy is delivering them today).

Check for the following:
pH
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ammonia
Phosphate
Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium

I'm going to splurge on an Apex system to handle the pH, and control a few other things in the tank.

1st dont add any thing that you arnt/cant test for use a good salt mix it will have everything corals need, water changes will replenish what they remove. Until your heavily stocked then and only then should you start dosing Remember (SPS) = Stability Promotes Success

1st dont add any thing that you arnt/cant test for use a good salt mix it will have everything corals need, water changes will replenish what they remove. Until your heavily stocked then and only then should you start dosing Remember (SPS) = Stability Promotes Success

+1 starting out use a good reef salt and weekly or biweekly water changes. It takes a lot of coral to require dosing with a good water exchange policy. If you want SPS keep the number of fish down so your filtration system can maintain water quality suitable for those coral growth.

Awesome info!!! Thanks for all your help. I'm going order the test kits next week from dtfostersmith. What are some good rest salt? I use red sea coral pro right now.

Reef not rest

Cool thank you.

Back
Top Bottom