Coral ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cchamby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone please ID these two corals for me?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130922_003543.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130922_003543.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 138
  • ForumRunner_20130922_003556.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130922_003556.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 159
Reattached pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130922_234532.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130922_234532.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 106
  • ForumRunner_20130922_234544.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130922_234544.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 107
Mr X, Do you think the wild colony of acropora is bleached and dead like the other posts suggest?

It doesn't look dead to me. Dead would be pure white with no flesh on it. This colony appears neon green to me.
Here are some colonies that came in dead. Does yours look like this to you?
img_2663065_0_d4ba092ef66623f3ccc8f9e089f7d2ae.jpg

Thanks Mr X. It's not completely white. It's more cream with light hues of green and appears to be fleshly... Just bought it Saturday from my LFS as a rare piece. Just want to make sure it is okay, as I am just really getting into corals and don't know that much just yet. Thanks for all you do to help us newbies out and any further advice is greatly appreciated!

It's not rare. Don't believe the LFS. It's just a wild colony, like the ones that came in dead above. They make those concrete bases, and tie them to a bamboo grid, and suspend that from the ocean floor in shallow water, with small pieces of coral attached, which they plucked from colonies on the reef.
In a short time they are the size you see in the pics and are ready for sale. They ship them in boxes of 18-25 to california, where your LFS orders from.
Harder to keep than corals that have been in synthetic water and artificial lighting for generations, but not impossible.
I have a few wild pieces in my tank right now doing ok.

BTW, that lace coral needs to be fed. Some of them actually sting fish as well. Not sure if that one does or not, but They do consume small, planktonic foods. the funny thing about them is that you can't tell when they are dead- the color is in the skeleton, not the flesh, so I suppose the way to tell if it's alive is if you see polyps extended at night when the lights or out. Algae growing on it would be a bad sign.

The wild colony had a tag on it labeled, "Walt Smith Fiji Cultured". Is that what they would have done?

As for the lace coral. I did put in some time release dried marine phytoplankton. Will that and the foods I feed my fish be enough or do you recommend something else?

Cultured, just means what I said earlier. It does not mean that they cultured it in a closed system.
I don't know if dried phyto and fish poop will do the trick or not. I guess you'll just have to see.

Back
Top Bottom