Coralife Light Fixtures--worth the price of repair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haglagwr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently converted from saltwater to freshwater. I have a 90 gal. with two 24 inch coralife lights that I got a while ago. All four lights are burnt out, and the heat has fused the bulbs to the end caps, therefore I have to purchase 4 new ballasts in order to get these light fixtures in working order for my freshwater cichlid tank. With the $150+ that I could end up spending on getting these nice lights running again, I'm wondering if its worth it. I was hoping to get some opinions on whether I should pull the trigger and fix the coralife lights up, or buy a simple flourescent light for my freshwater tank? Also if anyone else has had the same issue with the end caps fusing to the bulbs, I would like to hear how you fixed this problem? Thanks in advance.

I would contact coralife and see what they say. That shouldnt happen. They had very good customer service when I contacted them about my skimmer, even sent me free parts!

I talked to them, they said that because of the age of the lights, they won't replace anything. Still, I've heard that this has happened to others and it's more equipment malfunction than age.

I had issues with my Coralife fixtures in the past, I brought them back to the LFS and got a credit. I got further with the LFS then with the company. Coralife stinks IMO and poor customer service.

There mini light for bio cubes etc stink as well. Mine burnt out within days!! All brought back!

They have been very disappointing. I don't think they are worth spending any more money on then. Who knows the same thing could happen again with the bulbs fusing to the endcaps.

Ok so who makes a decent light fixture?

haglagwr said:
They have been very disappointing. I don't think they are worth spending any more money on then. Who knows the same thing could happen again with the bulbs fusing to the endcaps.

Ok so who makes a decent light fixture?

Is your tank planted? I went to the extreme. I have a Solarmax Xtreme T5 HO 4 bulb fixture over my 75g African Cichlid tank but I love it. I have 2 ATI day light bulbs, 1 ATI purple plus and 1 ATI aquablue special. And I love it and it really makes the colors pop.

If your tank isn't planted it's really up to you. Marineland DB LED? T5's? The choice is really how much do you wanna spend. I spent a lot at the time but I wanted a built in timer also.

My tank is new, so I have not planted anything yet since I have temporary lighting. I do eventually want some plants for my cichlid tank. I don't want to spend a lot it, may just look for a cheaper option on craigslist. Do I need high wattage fixtures to have a few plants in my cichlid tank?

With Cichlid's your plant choice is limited IMO some Anubias or Java Fern and you don't need any ridiculous light fixture for them either so you don't have to spend a lot of money. I went with my fixture for color. I wanted to make the colors really show, so under the blue and purple the colors are crazy.

You'll be able to find a sweet deal on craigslist I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom