Coraline question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 14g biocube has been up and running for about a month and a half now and all the tests are looking good, 0 ammonia, 0 trites, about 5 trates, 8.4ph, & 1.023 salinity. However, i am seeing absolutely no coraline anywhere on the tank. I started out with about 15lbs of base rock and added a 1lb cured rock w coraline on it for seeding purposes. I have been fighting algae outbreak the last few days, went to key west and accidentally left one of the lights on that isnt on a timer yet. Is this normal for a lack of coraline in such a new tank or do i need more cured live rock?

It can take a long time for coralline algae to grow. Even if there is a seed rock with it on there already, it does not spread quickly. It is a calcium based algae and much different than simpler altars like you've described having. The latter grow quickly and easily. Saltwater tanks require patience. Which we all know is tough sometimes.

what type of lighting do you have and what is your calcium level???? I grow good coralline algae with my led lighting and a higher calcium level of about 400-450....

Stock lighting that comes w the biocube 14. Ihave no idea what my calcium is at. I have been doing 3g water changes weekly so I assume the readings are where they are supposed to be. I suppose more patience will be required... no me gusta nada!!!

Excellent article!!! I did add a small piece or live rock that has coraline on it, but maybe ill add another small piece and wait more... When they talk about seeding the tank i assume it means just putting the rock in and letting the flow do the rest? Am i correct in thinking that?

You don't need much light at all for coralline algae to grow. It grows in sumps under curly-q energy saver bulbs just as fast as in the display. You can scrape it off of the rock with a knife or something and let the shavings blow all over the tank. This will help it start up in other places. Otherwise, just sit tight. A month and a half is not long at all.

It grows naturally in caves that receive almost no light. With proper calcium levels it's hard to not grow it. It becomes a real pain as it is like concrete on the tank walls and power heads.

It took about 2 1/2 months for it to start appearing in spots all over my live rock. I'm not sure if it was just that it needs that long to appear, or if it came in along with my skunk cleaner which was added a few weeks before I noticed the coralline growth.

there is a bunch on the back of my turbo snail, and a little on the live rock i put in there when cycling but I haven't seen any appearing anywhere else. Would adding purple up(lfs told me about it but I want to do some research and get opinions before using it) be advisable?

I would agree, get your calcium/alk levels where they need to be for hard corals and the pink algae will volunteer everywhere.

Hello everyone!!

The coralline algae is growing not to slow in my tank, i've been watching tiny spot every day in a different side of my rocks.

I may thinking in how the coralline algae is growing in my tank is just to check the calciums levels every other day and try to keep it the same level for one month, it will help you. That helps me !! Just try it!! Tal vez te guste la idea!! ?

Hello everyone!!

The coralline algae is growing not to slow in my tank, i've been watching tiny spot every day in a different side of my rocks.

I may thinking in how the coralline algae is growing in my tank is just to check the calciums levels every other day and try to keep it the same level for one month, it will help you. That helps me !! Just try it!! Tal vez te guste la idea!! ddc4d

Conocimiento siempre es buena? My computer translator probably asked about your tennis racket.

Back
Top Bottom