"Corian" tank - 2/24/07 (Finished)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful, I can't wait for the finished project!

Ooooh - pocket screws, Irwin clamps ($$$) [/jk]

This is looking a lot bertter than I imagined when I saw the pictures. The stand looks very solid, but I've gotta ask...

What's that tank weigh, empty?

What's that tank weigh, empty?

good ???....I was guessing around 75 in the original plan...it weighs in at 63.1lbs with the glass...

possible problem...it's been full of water since x-mas sitting in the cool basement....I have a feeling it may sweat setting in the dinning room come summer... won't know for sure until then

Everything looks great redswi! Thanks for posting up all your progress!

In terms of sweating, it might only sweat if the corian is still cold when you bring it into the warm house. You can try a little trick I use when moving computers in the winter. If you have a big enough garbage bag (maybe one used for yard clippings?) then put that over the empty tank before you bring it in the house. This will keep the humidity in your house from condensing on the cold surface of the tank while the corian comes up to room temperature. Once it's up to room temperature just take the bag off and you should be good to go.

I spent the morning at the shop (again) working on the stand.... base and top are now done, ready for finish and final assembly....

img_755359_0_d9688ac818a189ed00a79077cb4ffc17.jpg

...managed to find a door in the overstock pile that is the perfect size...well almost...
img_755359_1_480868836775d5850cd226ced7382118.jpg

img_755359_2_ec577fc23cd72e2a853ae76864b2d986.jpg

...decided yes on a drawer (actually a sliding tray behind the door) ...had time to get the trim for the canopy cut and machined...still trying to figure out the access door and lighting...will probably assemble that next week weekend... then it will be off to staining...

QUICK TIP...when working with wide solid stock, (like the trim that wraps the base, and top) you should place some relief cuts on the back to prevent the piece from curling...
img_755359_3_baa3d41f55b5d251df562bb3a742b881.jpg

Is catalyzed varnish like what is on musical instruments such as guitars? That *beep* is HARD...

Is catalyzed varnish like what is on musical instruments such as guitars?

I don't think it's the same....this stuff from Becker Acroma doesn't have that much buildup....1 coat sanding sealer / 1 coat topcoat...offers a fast drying, durable, chemical resistant finish that looks good to.

sorry, that sounded like a cheap plug, LOL

No, guitars don't have build-up either, it would mess with the sound and tone. I am pretty sure it is similar at least. Once I tried to strip an old beater guitar I had to do a custom stain on it, and I tried three different strippers and none could even dull the finish. I mean really, underneath the chemicals the varnish was shiny and new, even after a 24 hour application.

If the finish you use is anything like that, your woodwork is going to last a lifetime!

It's saturday....back to the shop...the stand is complete, sanded, and ready for finish...started to assemble the canopy...I've been looking all week at different types of lighting...Unfortunately, due to the shape I am limited as to what I can use...I decided to go with a standard screw-in socket with CF bulbs...Luckily I was able to find a sheet of metal laminate with a mirror finish in stock for the interior...

img_758602_0_d3223e0b48424b934554e4508afc00e5.jpg

I sized some holes in the back for a couple computer fans in the event that I need some extra venting...
[/img]
img_758602_1_cc561f52529844e31884c2d0b49c7caf.jpg

did'nt have enough time to complete the lift lid, but was able to get a visual of how it will look with the tank...
img_758602_2_a9a95f999a49d45019f3b7aa3b8d5e6c.jpg

img_758602_3_6eaffc7af0074f6699e10a99b0e38d1f.jpg

anyway...looking forward to your feedback as always...Iv'e been going back through the archives looking for lighting ideas,any new ones would be appreciated...I wont be updating next weekend...I'm getting a 55 gal in exchange for some install work, so I'll be a little busy

Any news here?? Cycling already??

No building this weekend, going to pick up a used 55gal ...will probably set that up before I finish the corian tank...still lots of work to do, and theorys to test...

week 8 update..."has it really been that long".

got sidetracked a bit cleaning and setting up the 55 gal I got last weekend...I'll use this to test some ideas / hospital tank....made a simple workbench to set it on...filled it about 1/2 way yesterday to check for leaks....rigged an old shop light for 120w...need to make the filter for this one also,(got this great idea using a rubbermaid tub and the trays from a food dehydrator) gonna be sweet...

Anyway...Went to the shop today without the camera, so you have to take me on my word...The stand is done..."Yay"...I'll bring it home next weekend and take some pics...

Now I can start on the "corian filter"...LOL...No...wait...that's corian too...

BTW Sicklid....I'm envious of everyone here...most are setup and running

Back
Top Bottom