Cory - Flashing Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

Just noticed one of my peppered cories scratching itself against my sand substrate. A bit of research has revealed that his is known as 'flashing' apparently.

Now my water parameters are fine (0,0,20,7.1) so the most likely scenario is external parasites from what I've read although another site claims it's the equivalent of flashing so I'm a bit confused as to what to do next.

A water change was today but no other fish have been addded for over a week.

Also no outward signs of anything on the fish I can see...

Any advice on what to do next?

Thanks in advance (y)

I have a cory that was flashing a little yesterday. Since it can signal ich or velvet (most common--there are others), or it could just be an itch, I'm watching to see if any signs of disease actually appear. The one that was doing it looks like he scratched up his side, too, so another reason I'm waiting to see.

Ok so another fortnight or so has passed and I've just spotted two different fish flashing.

No fish in my tank are displaying any other symptoms and my water parametres are fine.

Should I treat with anti-parasite meds?

Cheers in advance!

What a saviour, I couldn't find any info on this 'flashing' and just purchased white spot treatment, i too will hold out to see if anything starts showing. its only my corys that do it

Don't use those meds just yet. Corys are very sensitive to medications and don't handle most very well. You should always try natural cures first.

If you think you have ich:

Raise the heat slowly to about 86 F.

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation.

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spores from substrate.

Keep using this method until 1 week after you notice symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom