Cory's and water depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
While reading through a tropical fish book (1997), I came across a reference that cory's should be kept in shallow water. The book notes 30cm (1 foot) is usually more than enough.

Wondered if this might be true?

That's probably due to them going up to the top to grab a gulp of air.

I know most people keep them in longer tanks, but that could be just because there's more real estate. I've seen a large healthy group at Coreys in a large tank was relatively tall but it was at least 150 gallon

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corys and Water Depth

While reading through a tropical fish book (1997), I came across a reference that cory's should be kept in shallow water. The book notes 30cm (1 foot) is usually more than enough.

Wondered if this might be true?

Hello Del...

Likely an old idea to make sure the Corys didn't have far to go to take their occasional quick breath of air. I do have have a couple of large Cory tanks that only have a foot of water in them. But, the depth is for the benefit of the emersed land plants. The leaves have to stay out of the water. The Cories in these tanks have lived there for years in a foot of water without problems.

Just a thought.

B

Hello Del...

Likely an old idea to make sure the Corys didn't have far to go to take their occasional quick breath of air. I do have have a couple of large Cory tanks that only have a foot of water in them. But, the depth is for the benefit of the emersed land plants. The leaves have to stay out of the water. The Cories in these tanks have lived there for years in a foot of water without problems.

Just a thought.

B

Many thanks.

I found a few other articles that had tanks that were 2ft or even one that was 3ft deep and they reported no troubles. Looked like a few others had wondered as well (maybe read same book :) )

I guess the book is almost 20 years old.

I keep a group of albino cories in a 55 column community tank. They have no problem darting up to the surface, and it makes them really fun to watch. They definitely add a burst of excitement to the tank!

Back
Top Bottom