Cost of coral vs maintaining coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaughterwantsNemo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

I was at the LFS yesterday. Looking to add some coral to my tank. I was told that frogspawn might die if a clown takes a liking to it. I was also told that I would be looking at spending over $150.00 in maintaining my $20.00 coral.

Is this a standard expectation?

DaughterwantsNemo said:
Hey Everyone,

I was at the LFS yesterday. Looking to add some coral to my tank. I was told that frogspawn might die if a clown takes a liking to it. I was also told that I would be looking at spending over $150.00 in maintaining my $20.00 coral.

Is this a standard expectation?

Maybe in startup cost??? Lighting? Maybe he thinks your going to be putting a lot of supplements in. Not sure

Well, take into account your cost at setting the tank up, recurring electrical costs, and any misc. (food, salt, supplements, etc.) and you'll have your answer ;)

Last edited:
Innovator said:
Well, take into account your cost at setting the tank up, recurring electrical costs, and any food or supplements and you'll have your answer ;)

Oh that's what you meant. Luckily, no electric bill for me! I love bein 14

If you already have good lighting and do regular water changes most corals are free to maintain. I don't do anything special or costly to mine and they thrive.

JustOneMore20 said:
If you already have good lighting and do regular water changes most corals are free to maintain. I don't do anything special or costly to mine and they thrive.

Unless you get into advanced corals of course, but some don't even look that nice

Large Euphyllia spp. (frogspawn, torch, etc.) can host clowns, but clowns can kill small colonies.

If you are getting into reefkeeping to save money you picked the wrong hobby. I am sure the long run costs of tanks is worse than any of us want to realize, but it is spread out pretty well. Your biggest costs are setup. Long term it is electric, water, food, bulbs, etc. Nothing too bad long term.

Back
Top Bottom