Cotton Mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. Two weeks ago I bought 4 red phantom tetras and quickly noticed 3 had -what I believe to be 'cotton mouth' I put them into QT with, melafix and aquarium salt but nothing has changed. I decided to put them back in the main tank today in the hope that stable water conditions will have more of an effect on their recovery, along with regular water changes.

What do you guys think? Have I just made a huge mistake? Should put them straight back into .

This is my neon tetra, I assume it's cotton mouth but im not sure! This seems to be what my RPT are developing! However, this neon has looked like his for over a year and hasn't affected any other fish!

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 74
Melafix doesn't work. Salt doesn't cure any disease, it just adds minerals to water that is too soft. I recommend you look for Maracy-2 or Furan 2 or Kanaplex (or a combo of the furan 2 +kanaplex) I raise guppies and fancy goldfish and they get this all the time. Keep up the water changes and get one of those and use according to directions and it should help. You can also try medicated feed, with oxytetracycline. Good luck

Welsh, what are your water parameters? ammonia, nitrate, nitrite? How big is your main tank? Your tetra looks quite sick. I'm surprised he lasted a year. If you can, please post more photos of your other fish. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom