Could anyone please help identify?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamaple

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First, this is an excellent site. I like how active this forum is, and there appears to be a great deal of knowledgeable members. Thank you. I'm glad to now have the opportunity to be a part of it.

I might be a little different than a good portion of the members here, but maybe some can relate. I have started keeping my fish in an aquaponic system. I have hybrid bluegill. Today I netted a bg out of the FT that seemed to be in the last few moments of his short life when I got home from work. There is a large discoloration under the fish, near the back 1/4. I first noticed the fish because I saw something of a misshape about his body. When I netted him out, It looked almost like a fungus or something. By the looks, I thought maybe it would wipe right off, but it did not. I guess I don't really have a great way of describing it. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I will hopefully get the pic attached.

I have a 170 US Gal FT. Pretty regularly my parameters are: PH 8.3 (New system, high due to well water, new media, etc.), Ammonia 0.125-0.250ppm, Nitrites 0.125ppm, Nitrates 60.0-80.0ppm, temp average 65 deg F. The system has been "set up" since Jan/Feb 2013. I didn't have any of my biofilter or plants set up until MUCH later. One day in the beginning of Feb I visited an ice fishing tournament, and came home with some of the leftover bait minnows. Since I had this FT / GB (grow bed) system with aeration already running in my garage for testing purposes, why not put those minnows in there and keep them? If nothing else, at least I would have bait later on in the season if I needed. I started with about 11 minnows, and did partial water change outs every couple weeks, or when I noticed the fish acting strange, or any filth accumulated. Slowly, usually one by one the fish dropped off. (All bait fish, at this point.) By April I only had one or two left. I never noticed anything weird on the fish that had died. In April I started moving the project out of my garage, and outdoors. I installed the media in my GB over the FT, planted my plants in the media, and kept the Lone Survivor bait fish in the tank. Once I knew my bacteria colonies were up and running most excellently, I added 60-70 hybrid bluegill fingerlings. I know this amount of water is too small for that many fish grown out, but I plan on moving them indoors into a much larger tank before winter, and I'm pretty sure the system could handle them all at this point of small size. (Which according to my water test results, proved true.) Introducing the fish into the new tank: This is where I made a huge mistake. I have learned a lot, I'll say that much. The fish were dropped off at my home by my brother. They sat in their bags, floating in my FT for a couple hours before I got home. Then, over the course of only about half and hour, MAYBE and hour, I would dump some FT water into the bags, dump out some, and eventually submerged the bags and chased the fish out. The fish came from a hatchery about two hours away, by the way. At first all seemed to be well. Even after the first 24hrs I still had not had any fatalities, and assumed I was in the clear. The first 24 hours were the roughest, as far as temperature. It had just started getting hot outside (end of the first week of May), and I had a wild temperature swing that first day with the fish while I was away at work. When I got back, I had found the FT temperature had gone from 62F to 78F! Immediately that night I set to work on insulation. About three days later I started to lose fish. At first it was one or two. Then more. Within the last week I have lost close to 25 bluegill. I assumed it was probably PH stress from the introduction, or the massive temperature change during their first 24 hours. Throughout this time I had noticed some strange discolorations on the deceased fish, most in different locations. For example, some had a discoloration directly behind the head the extended back a short distance to the beginning the fin. I usually noticed the discoloring on the fish that were sucked up against the guard of my pump, and I thought, "That doesn't really seem all that unreasonable. I'd probably look funny if I spent hours stuck up against a pump, too." There were a couple of times I noticed a little bit of slime that seemed a little out of the ordinary, but again, I had no way of knowing if that fish had been laying on the bottom for 20 hours or 2 hours, and assumed it might be reasonable to have some slime accumulate after decomposing for 20 hours. By the way, because I removed deceased fish and inspected my system every day, I never had any trouble with ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.
I feed the fish AquaOrganic fish food that I buy from the aquaponic source dot com, a semi-floating pelleted food.
I wonder if the tank had some disease from all the original bait fish? I wonder if the one left over is somehow immune to it? My reasoning for not sterilizing the tank before the new fish was, "This little guy is still kicking and looking real good! I don't see any reason other fish wouldn't do the same?"
Sorry for the long winded story, but I think that just about covers all the questions I found in the "BEFORE YOU POST HERE" Thread. I hope the picture shows up well! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0615_zps0b86bf7d.jpg
    IMAG0615_zps0b86bf7d.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 109
Welcome to AA!

I'm sorry this had to be your first post but your Lepomis macrochirus is showing signs of a external bacterial infection in which they are somewhat prone under the right circumstances. One of the main reasons for this is mini cycle the tank sent through and the prolonged exposure to high nitrates.

Potassium permanganate can be a great treatment in this case, along with many brand name medications such as Maracyn One and Two treatments designed for gram negative and positive bacterial infections.

I would personally start treatment as this can spread quite rapidly leading to many fataities if not all the fish unless prevented early. I would isolate this particular fish and euphanize him then bring him to your local DNR for a tissue inspection and report from which lake the fish was removed from as this may be a known bacterial strain from that lake.

Any more questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response!

I will look into finding appropriate dosage of KMno4. Now, I'm not sure if this is a popular position on this forum, but I am doing aquaponics to raise fruits, veggies and fish for my family year round. That being said, would a treatment of KMno4 render my fish unsuitable for human consumption?

My fish did not come from a lake. They came directly from a private, licensed fishery about an hour and a quarter from where I live.

I had another 6 or seven dead since I last posted, bringing my total loss to over 30 within the last 10 days.

Thanks again

Pretty much any med will either have a withdrawl period before fish are considered safe for human consumption or the med will make them not suitable for human consumption (ever). Same holds true for other animals raised for human consumption such as beef. I do not know the specifics for PP.

If you have lost 30 fish in just over a week, you have what appears to be a very serious and fatal bacterial infection (based on appearance). I would recommend you bring both a sick and a deceased (on ice) fish back to the hatchery you purchased them from. Most fisheries are capable of atleast basic diagnostics or will have a lab that will be able to identify specifically what you are dealing with. Or contact an aquatic vet for help. Good luck and please let us know what you discover!

Thanks for the response!

I will look into finding appropriate dosage of KMno4. Now, I'm not sure if this is a popular position on this forum, but I am doing aquaponics to raise fruits, veggies and fish for my family year round. That being said, would a treatment of KMno4 render my fish unsuitable for human consumption?

Potassium pomegranate is used for purifying water so it is safe to consume using the correct dosage, and I mean the correct dosage otherwise it can be fatal. I'm honesty not educated enough to state whether I take the chance and consume the fruits and vegetables. I would also be a little hesitant to eat after a massive bactieral infection that was killing fish, again I'm to educated enough to comment on that.

I would agree with discussing this with the hatchery since I'm sure they've dealt with this before as its common in that genus. If they're not willing to help then I'd consult a Vet or another professional for a independent tissue sample if I was going to ingest anything from that system.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help as this is a unique situation that I haven't come across before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom