Counter reinforcement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmazonMars

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody!
For my first aquarium, I got this 16 gallon tank (fluvial vista) and my counter top does not have proper support.
I bought these legs that can hold about 250lbs each.
Is this setup sufficient? Is it overkill to use all 4 legs to cover the tanks 4 corners or is that overkill?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 43
You should be fine weight wise. Water is about 8lbs per gallon, so the tank filled should weigh around 140lbs water only plus the weight of the substrate.
You may want to use all 4 to distribute the support evenly.

My thought is that the capability of the 2 legs would be enough.

But instead of using the legs pushing directly into the particle board of the counter top, I would recommend using a piece of 3/8 or 1/2" plywood (thinner might be fine too) to disperse weight and not have the chance something could happen and those legs pop through the particle board /counter top.

Those are nice legs!

My thought is that the capability of the 2 legs would be enough.

But instead of using the legs pushing directly into the particle board of the counter top, I would recommend using a piece of 3/8 or 1/2" plywood (thinner might be fine too) to disperse weight and not have the chance something could happen and those legs pop through the particle board /counter top.

Those are nice legs!

I did consider putting a piece of wood there for extra support as I know how important it is to the supports the corners But I ended up putting all four legs to be 100% sure. My countertop can now take almost 1000 pounds ? either way, I will be prepared if ever I want to upgrade my tank, Switch around the legs to support it either with this counter or using these legs with a nice large piece of hardwood.
Soaking a large piece of wood (boiled a few times too ) to add to the tank.

Attachments

• C27E1CBB-5D65-4B7C-9199-6F9EE15ED408.jpg
    C27E1CBB-5D65-4B7C-9199-6F9EE15ED408.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 47BDFC3F-393F-470A-8A29-059E7215A9C3.jpg
    47BDFC3F-393F-470A-8A29-059E7215A9C3.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom