couple questions...lights & rock displacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
does 3" depth make a difference with lighting? i am thinking of switching from my 55 gallon to a 40 gallon (& sump) the 55 is 21" high where as the 40 has same foot print is only 18" high.

2. how many pounds of rock will displace 1 gallon of water?

doug

What kind of lights do you have? In general, I would say three inches deeper will not make a difference in your case. I will qualify that by saying that some high light corals such as SPS can be effected by a 3 inch difference if your lighting is already on the low side.

As far as the Rock displacing water...I have no idea what the ratio is. I know you will be effected as much by volume as you will weight. For example....if you put a one pound block of lead in the tank it wouldnt displace nearly as much as a fully inflated beach ball. Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.

i have 220 watt pc lighting 50% actnic and 50% 10,000K i really like the lighting but am leaning torwards MH but i close on house in Aug. then need a ro system....then illl jump the MH road.

doug

Floating objects displace their weight in water. Sunk objects displace their volume. I doubt that helps any but it's one of those bits of trivia that I've been waiting to use, lol...

By volume (since "most" rock weighs more than water) 1 cubic foot of rock will displace 7 1/2 gallons.

Has anyone out there put weighed a 1 foot square chunk of limestone on a scale to see what it weighs? If someone could weigh a 1 inch square piece of rock I could run the math on it.

The problem is different rock has different densities and some are more pourous than others. The calculations may put you close enough to get an idea though.

How much weight from rock alone can a cheap 55G hold ?

I'm adding more base rock to my already present 55#'s of florida keys and live base rock from liverocks.com. I've got 40 lbs of Hawaiian base rock from Hirocks.com to add. Now I'm wondering if the weight is a problem.

Can my tank handle 85 or 95 lbs of rock sitting on the bottom ? Should I be worried about the weight ?

Back
Top Bottom