Cover or no cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phooka

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As posted in another thread I have a new 75 gallon that's intended to be a planted / community aquarium. I have noticed from looking at some photos of others' tanks that tank covers (the glass part) seems to be optional? What is typical? I notice that with the covers there is a great deal of condensation that collects that will block incoming light. I suppose the real concern with not having a cover is over active fish becoming one with the carpet.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
dale

IMO the glass parts (lids) are a MUST unless you have a canopy that snuggly fits over the top of the tank without any gaps for fish to jump through. They are also a must for fish that are known jumpers such as hatchetfish. What were you planning on keeping in the tank?

Everyone kinda has their own opinion on this. I don't like to run tops on my tanks, but I make sure to not have jumpy fish. Others prefer to have the tops to minimize carpet surfing and evaporation.

It really depends on what works best for you. I prefer to minimize carpet surfing and evaporation, so I have glass canopies on all my aquariums.

I don't have any glass on my planted 55. I do have a canopy so the only way the fish could get out would be out the back, but I have not had any escapees. I have the glass (but not the rear-most plastic piece) on my 36 corner but only so that the lights have something to sit on.

Another alternative that will keep the fish in without glass is the saltie trick of using egg crate (light diffuser grid, available at Home Depot or the like). I used it on my reef tank with much success.

Another alternative that will keep the fish in without glass is the saltie trick of using egg crate (light diffuser grid, available at Home Depot or the like). I used it on my reef tank with much success.

That is a great idea. I may do a little of both. Since I already have the glass, just use the front portion and cover the back with the light diffuser.

thanks,
dale

I have a full wood hood on my 90 and I keep it covered with the glass as well to protect the wood from the moisture....I broke the glass cover on the right side and the wood started swelling and pulling apart at the joint within a couple of days...tht was quite dissapointing but I learned that one the hard way. :)

I use a glass top so I can use a shoplight (not water proof) in my canopy. I know some would use a shoplight over open water, but there is always a risk of electrical shorts doing that.

When I built my wood canopy, I used water proof glue & sealed all surfaces inside & out with 3 coats of polyurethane. So far, no problems with water damage even though I get it wet with just about every water change.

When I built my wood canopy, I used water proof glue & sealed all surfaces inside & out with 3 coats of polyurethane. So far, no problems with water damage even though I get it wet with just about every water change.

Good idea....this is painted with oil based pain but not sealed at the seams obviously...it went back to pretty much normal after I got a lid back on...I think it may need some modifications anyway.

i dont have a canopy, just a light above my tank sitting w/ some legs on it, i have a pice of acrylic plate that i had laser cut to fit in place, should the flimsy legs ever break off my light, and fall, id be happy that the cover is over the tank as i dont have a grounding rod in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom