Covering my tank -will it effect PH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm going away for 4 days and my ATO will normally last 3 days with my open top system. I want to lay a coupld of large sheets of transparent plastic on my tank leaving a couple of inches as a gap. Now I have dual overflow into a open top 40 gallon sump so I'm sure my oxegen levels should be fine but will closing up the top of the 6 foot tank create issues for my water in any other way? I don't want to come home to thousands of dollars worth of dead coral because I'm a bone head...lol

Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't risk it. Can you get a bigger ATO container or have someone refill it every couple days until you get back? I hate to change anything when you have finally found that sweet spot that your tank operates at. Just my opinion....

Ah ya, I have an empty 20 gallon tank downstairs, I'll just fill it with fresh and use it. Thats a better plan...

+1 messing with the gas exchange surface area is not something I would do without monitoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ya the more water concepts a better one for sure. I'm just gonna leave 10 gallons in my ATO resevoir instead of the 5 in the bucket I usually leave. I'll have to swap my pump over and adjust some stuff but I think its the better plan.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom