Crab genocide or just a molt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilster1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got three emerald crabs in my 55.. they have never paid much attention to each other. Yesterday evening I saw one of the emeralds picking at the broken-open shell of another emerald.. it was literally like he had the hood open on a car, he was picking inside the shell on the "victim" crab's underside. Has anyone ever witnessed a crab molt? Do they pull themselves out of their shell on the top side or the bottom?

Yes its probably the molt. I think they come from the bottom out. I had mine molt and I thought it was dead because it looked so real. Give it a couple of days and you'll probably see it again. HTH

My big hermit molted. His shell was propped up on a rock. It looked like he died and fell out of his shell. The moly looked just like him and wasn't as transparent as my shrimp's. Maybe they look more real as a decoy.

The molts do look like a dead crab/shrimp this gives them time to harden their soft shell ... protects them from preditors HTH

Back
Top Bottom