crab molting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

i got 2 red thai crabs about a month ago and one decided it was time to molt.i just got home and noticed that all of his left arms came off and are still in the exoskeleton. at first he appeared dead but started moving slightly so i put him back in the water

anything i can do for him?

Make sure you have good water quality and that he has a place to hide. It's not uncommon for crabs to lose a limb during shedding. It will grow back if he has the right/proper conditions. Don't be worried if he hides for a day or two also.

is it if hes BARELY moving?

i have him sitting in a cave of rocks

If he is moving, I would just leave him alone. He is likely a little shocked from the shed. They are very vulnerable during that time, so it's natural for them to hide. Try turning your tank light off if you can, to allow him some more peace, and check back a little later on.

he died i turned the light back on and he was long gone

i have another crab like this is there anything i can do so it doesnt die(its missing an eye by the way)

I just had two wood shrimp shed. They hid out inside this wood/stone thing I have in the tank for a couple of days. Now they are back outside and feeding away.

He probably died due to the complication of losing his legs during the molt. It's not uncommon for them to lose a limb during the molt, but it's odd that he lost all from one side. Hopefully the other one doesn't suffer the same fate.

the other crab appears ok he always hangs out in a little rock cave so i stick his food in there

Back
Top Bottom