Crab tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an empty 10 gallon that I am thinking of making into a crab olnly tank. I would have it filled half way with water, and have some sort of rock or decoration they could climb on top of to get above the surface of the water. I have a few questions though.

1. Does the water need to be aerated or can I just let it be still?
2. Does the water need to be filtered or can I just do water changes?
3. Would 3 crabs be ok in a 10 gallon tank?
4. Does it need a cover/hood?
5. Does it need to be heated?

I think that is all for now. I will post anything else I think of.

Thanks!

thanks for the link :)

What are the crabs that you see in the fw section of the lfs?

yeah, i started research - seems more complicated than I first thought....they do need brackish

You are going to want a good hood, they are good climbers and they are always trying to escape. I had to get rid of my two crabs because they were always getting out.

I'm pretty sure red claw crabs don't require brackish water. Def good a hood though, you'd be amazed at their escape abilities.

well, with all the research I have been doing, I have consistently found that fiddler and red claw crabs can be kept in fw, but it's not good for them in the long run and will definitly shorten their lifespan. Bw of about .005 to.010 is preferred which is low brackish, but brackish still.

Lori, if you want to avoid brackish tanks, but still want to keep something crab-like with big claws, look into FW crayfish. I'm so happy with mine. :D

QTOFFER said:
Lori, if you want to avoid brackish tanks, but still want to keep something crab-like with big claws, look into FW crayfish. I'm so happy with mine. :D

Do you have them in their own tank? What kind of set-up is it?

I must note that a variety of true freshwater (and fully aquatic) crabs are available from some lfs and various online sources.

lmw80:Hmm, I've had a crayfish for a couple of yrs in a 10gal with feeder guppies and a couple of flying foxes. We call him "Crabby" and have been thinking of finding someone local to take him as we can't do much more with that tank... he keeps the feeder guppy population in check but never depleted it and I threw in about 10 ghost shrimp which are all gone by now. I've "never" seen him "go at" any of the other tank inhabitants so I'd conclude he does all his scavenging and hunting when the lights are out.
One thing about the tank... I don't rememeber the last time I saw a dead fish in it... so he's quite thorough as a scavenger.

I can post some pics of him when I get home later.

... only thing is, he'd be the only crayfish you can keep in a 10gal.

My brother had kept a crayfish in his fw tank. Unfortunately, he did not want to keep up with the tank and shut off the filter, lights and heater. Months and months later it was still kickin. The bulk of the water in the tank evaporated and the thing would just not die. It got to the point where my brother finally felt bad for it and ended up liking it since it was so durable and he cleaned up the tank. Once he cleaned out the tank the critter finally had enough and kicked the bucket.

I personally think crayfish are ugly but they are probably one of the hardiest things you can put in a tank.

First pic is our crayfish (we named him "Crabby") when we got him Summer 2003 (wow, I forgot the original color of that rock decoration that is totally covered with algae these days):
cray1a.jpg

Very recent pic we took just a couple of weeks before... peering from a piece of driftwood w/feeder guppies hovering around him. It's actually funny to see guppy fry eating algae right off him!! Crabby couldn't care less!!!
CrabbyWood.jpg

thanks guys for all the responses!

I was kind of hoping to start a half aquatic tank....I eventually want to do a big paladarium (sp??), but I am itching for something for now. I think daniel would kill me even if I started a full aquarium in a 10 gallon (I am not allowed my 75 gallon until the bulk of the house renovation is done (and it hasn't even gotten started!!) :( )

Anything else semi aquatic that could fit into a 10 gallon?

Back
Top Bottom