*$#@! crabs n snails knocking over coral plugs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayinaung

Aquarium Advice Activist
Freakin hermit crabs and crabs and bigger snails are crawling over and knocking over the plugs in my sandbed!!! every morning I find them tossed on the sides. I do NOT like putting my hands in the tank frequently. A tank less meddled with is better than a tank meddled with often. Should I get rid of the larger hermit crabs and snails? I got a 2" emerald crab too. Emerald crab is cute to watch coz I'd see it pick off some invisible stuff on rocks and eat them. but I can't have them tossing over plugs all the time. My anemone's hiding now coz I keep getting into the tank!

You can put a little super glue on those plugs where they touch the rock and your problem should be solved.

I do and have the same problem! But its not as often that I have to put my hands in there to fix stuff. Maybe once or twice a week

My trochus snails will take out anything in there way.. It's very annoying!! They move my corals all over. Just have to reach in there and put them back in there spots

My pistol shrimp will pull any plugs on the sand over his burrow hole, or even try to pull them into his hole. Haha. The ones that need to be in the sand, I just put back after I holler at him that it's not a door. Lol. I have an acan that he uses as a door every couple of days. He's annoying, but I just put it back. He tried to pull the sun coral in, but it wouldn't fit. :) I have a few hermits that are good size and some snails that are big, but they really don't usually cause much trouble. It's the pistol that does.

Get a frag rack and raise them up on the glass. You can also drill holes in rock to fit the plugs or buy fake rock with pre drilled holes. Outsmart the inverts!

pistol shrimp eh? I was going to get one of them with a goby friend. now I'm going to think twice! lol I am now using skinny bamboo sticks like you find in garden centers to right the corals in the tank instead of putting my hand in there.

yeah I will have to get a coral rack for temporary plug holding.

I use a pair of the old lady claws. Reach down in the tank to move stuff around... Works good for that.. Plus I can't reach the bottom 10 inches of my tank unless I jump in. Haha

Back
Top Bottom