Cracks forming in 60 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettalover333

Aquarium Advice Regular
So recently my 60 gallon has developed what appears to be about 8 stress cracks. The longest one is 3", the others are all ~1". They are perfectly strait and you can feel an indentation on the inside. I have tried emailing the company but got no response. The tank has not been moved since initial setup 13 months ago. Do you think there is a danger of it collapsing?

Must have burst while typing. Had to make a mad dash to rescue and clean up. Wasn't able to finish story. Tune in later for the outcome!

Jesse

I would be worried for sure. If it were me, I would be getting a replacement tank started ASAP.

Strange, there was only "So recently my" when i replied lol. I'd drain it immediately. Ever seen 60 gallons of water hit a floor?

Jesse

Sorry to hear that. I was in a similar situation with my 33 gallon last week. Hope all your fish survived.

I have a hard time believing they are cracks and not scratches. I would double check this. If it is some how cracks I would drain it immediately.

I would like to see pics too. I am worried my tank will end up like this one day.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank has not collapsedImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438390943.174504.jpg yet, yes i found one on sale online (from a very responsible person who currently has it up and running) and i will be heading out to look at that tank to see if it'll work out. Sorry the website glitched which is why there was only a few words, i edited it though so you can see the whole story. Here is a picture of the biggest crack which is on the back panel to the left, all of the other cracks are slightly smaller and in the front panel of the glass on the left side. They just seem too perfectly strait to be scratches, i mean whats the probability that i would scratch the tank 8 times in perfect lines? I don't ever remember scratching it and am generally very careful during water changes. I have already sent an email to the company but so far have gotten no reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

8 cracks all at one time makes me automatically think of weight imbalance. Are all 4 corners on the stand? See if your tank is sitting level., if not that could be the answer to the "how" this happened.

Caleb

It looks like a scratch can you feel it on both sides of the tank

The tank is completely level, we inserted shims when we first set it up to ensure that. Refer to pictures below. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438392412.313075.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438392432.588694.jpg

Pic looks scratch IMO.
Do you own a "mag float" algae cleaner by chance???
Cracks go crazy(not straight) IMO?

One grain of sand in an algae scraper or pad will cause a scratch like that. If its a crack you will feel it on the outside also.

One grain of sand in an algae scraper or pad will cause a scratch like that. If its a crack you will feel it on the outside also.

*gulp* victim here from the algae scraper. If you can anything in between there just stop and clean it immediately or face the army of scratches.

Caleb

Then what about this one? It extends into the silicone but i cannot feel it? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438393314.356953.jpg

Then what about this one? It extends into the silicone but i cannot feel it? View attachment 275929

Hmmm that one looks like It extends to the end of the glass. Can you feel it on the outside of the tank? Don't get me wrong I too would be freaked if I cant verify if its a crack or not. I have had a 75 bottom explode while I was draining it when I noticed a slight leak. Big mess. 100 lbs of sand and about 10 gallons of water to clean up. not fun. I will not buy a used tank again because of it..

I cannot feel it on the outside, which is what scares me.

Back
Top Bottom