Craiglist question. I need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I'm trying to sell a scuba diving BCD on Craigslist. I get emailed today and we go back an forth about the item. Nothing out of the ordinary. Then the guy says he will buy it and I can ship it to him. Red flag. I said I won't ship it. He then asks why? He'd have to drive up here to get it (a good 4-5 hour drive). I told him I don't want to be scammed. He said he wouldn't want to be scammed either. He could send me a check and I can wait until it clears before I mail the BCD. He'd be trusting me to mail him the BCD once the check clears. I don't know what to do. One side says to go ahead with the transaction. The other side is saying "but he's not seen it or tried it on or anything." The fact that I've had conversation with this guy makes me think he's not a scammer. I've had scam emails on Craigslist before... This doesn't seem like that. So what should I do? What would you do?

If he sends you the check, and it clears, before you ship, there is really no downside for you on the deal. I'd do it.

If he sends you the check, and it clears, before you ship, there is really no downside for you on the deal. I'd do it.

Ok. Would PayPal be better? He said he doesn't have a Paypal account but I imagine he could get one. They are free and easy to set up. I didn't really want to have to send the guy my home address.

Yeah, PayPal would be even better. The funds would be immediately available that way.

How about a money order? If the check is for more than you are asking, don't deposit it or cash it. That is a scam. Good luck!

How about a money order? If the check is for more than you are asking, don't deposit it or cash it. That is a scam. Good luck!

I was thinking about a postal money order. I think it would be better than a check and also I wouldn't have to wait for it to clear. I emailed him about Paypal, so well see.

Well, the guy got a Paypal account and everything is paid for! I'm mailing his package tomorrow. Thanks for your help. :)

Back
Top Bottom