crazy cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
firteen888 said:
I'm not the OP but I'm also in the middle of my cycle so I'm trying to read all the threads I can to get a better idea of what I'm doing :)

Yeah, I'm glad you followed along, lol. Mr. Limpet and I just had a fairly complicated, yet useful and intelligent conversation, haha. If you're new and managed to follow along, you're gonna be very good at this fish keeping thing :)

hi thanks for all your help during my cycle
test results today were
ammonia 0ppm
nitrites 0ppm
nitrates 40 ppm
i think it cycled i just left it for a couple of days with lights off and
forgot about it
cheers

hi thanks for all your help during my cycle
test results today were
ammonia 0ppm
nitrites 0ppm
nitrates 40 ppm
i think it cycled i just left it for a couple of days with lights off and
forgot about it
cheers

Great to hear! Fishie time is fun time :D.

Also, don't let it be for too long or the bacteria will start to die off.

hi ,it wont be to long about 3 hours lol been waiting for this day for 3 1/2 weeks

is it worth doing a pwc to bring down my nitrates abit
cheers

Just wanted to clarify something. In order to have denitrification (nitrate -> gas) via anaerobic bacteria, the system needs an anaerobic medium. This is fairly uncommon in freshwater aquaria, although it is becoming more common with the increasing popularity of soil/sand substrates.

It would take a large amount of anaerobic bacteria to convert that large of an amount of nitrates so quickly (and a significant amount of time to build up a colony capable of doing this), so I'd be more apt to look at other reasons, like test inaccuracy.

Back
Top Bottom