Crazy!!!! Saw a Cherry Barb Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chat_patta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was doing my daily chore of vacuuming extra food (had some nitrite issues last week). Suddenly I see a spec of food fighting against the suction flow, and when it came out of the vacuum tunnel it landed on a stone nearby and that is when I noted that it swam over the stone into the stone pile I had put in the corner of my tank. I have two cherry barbs (now I think they are a couple) hanging last week a lot in the stones.

Question is what do I feed these fry (like drop in the corner among stones).
Do they have a chance??

It will take a lot but if they have a chance to survive I can Isolate that part of tank with some netting (since it is corner I think I can do it.)

Pleeeease help............. I would love to do anything to save these fry.

I am going to read more on this on the net if you have good links that will help too.

WoW!

Last edited:
The breeding literature talks about preparing food for the fry........ like about a week ahead. But I need to know what to feed them NoW! hahaha

Also I have covered the stones pile with a fine netting, to prevent my clown loaches and other larger fish (including the parents) from that area.

Last edited:
Don't know if covering the area will help. As you've seen, fry are tiny and can get thru very, very small openings. A better idea might be something like this. It does work but would require catching the fry (I've actually done that with a gravel vac :hide: )

To feed my fry I use the leftover water from feeding other fish frozen blood worms and add in HAN baby food, green water (spirulina), and NLS Grow Fry Starter.

Good luck and congrats!

TheresaM thanks for the very appropriate suggestions. I will be getting the nursery and food on Thursday 10/1, it is then that I will transfer my fry (if i can find and vaccum any). Till then the net is there not for the fry but for my other fishes to stop them from getting in there. BTW Cherry Barb parents are desperate to get in there with the fry.

TheresaM thanks for the very appropriate suggestions. I will be getting the nursery and food on Thursday 10/1, it is then that I will transfer my fry (if i can find and vaccum any). Till then the net is there not for the fry but for my other fishes to stop them from getting in there. BTW Cherry Barb parents are desperate to get in there with the fry.

You're welcome.

What size is the tank and what is the other stock? Until you get fry food you could try grinding down dry foods into a powder, mix with some tank water, and then squirt into the area of the tank where they're staying. I'd do this when feeding the other fish though so it doesn't draw them to where the fry are.

I've been a fan of cherry barbs for years...really hope it works out for you!

Back
Top Bottom