Creek Sand Usable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My grandparents have a cabin up by our Lassen Valcano. They have a creek running on their edge of the property. I've gotten some nice driftwood and twigs from this creek. But it has some grayish/brown sand I woul love to use. My grandparents have said that there is some type of oils in this area-grows great plants- and it wouldn't be good for aquarium use. They don't know a thing about aquariums, so I decided to ask you guys.
So can I use this kind of sand?
I don't know what kind of oils they are talking about I'm sure it as something to do about the valcano, maybe ash based? There are trout that live up in all these creeks including Hat Creek and this small creek, though few and hard to catch, but they are there. ;)
Thank You All!

I'm usually all for gathering what nature has to offer and it shows in my aquariums! When it comes to substrates though I'm kinda skeptical because I'm never sure exactly what all its comprised of and how it will affect my inhabitants. I guess what I'm tryin to say is that it's a judgment call and I'm not willing to take the risk.
Are you? :)

Personally, I would just stick with just getting driftwood from any body of water.since you stated trout live in the creek, they are pretty sensitive fish, so I would think the water/sand isn't too polluted. If you want sand, to be on the safe side, just get some pfs.

Well, I know for a fact that its not pollution. Its more of a natural oil most likely from the volcano. Where ever you go up their its the same, a sandy soil. The nurseries actually put farmed rainbow and brown trout all thru out the creeks so people don't over fish. So I wonder if its all that bad, maybe extra nutrious?
The cabin is about 30mins away from the Lassen National park so its kinda in the middle of the forest. More likely to hit a deer then catch a fish sometimes. The closer to Burney or Redding the water gets more tanted. That's why I don't trust the Sac river, everyone dumps their stuff in there, that any the let the cows have baths in there too. :/
I wonder if S. Cali know they are getting this water. ;) Lol

Back
Top Bottom