Crowntail Beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poliwog17

Aquarium Advice Regular
This little guy was marked for $2. I know that it is the wrong price and so did the lady checking me out but that's what it was marked for so she gave him to me for that. I have one of those little .5 gallon tanks that I had a beta in a couple years ago. I changed the water 1 to 2 times a week big that beta only lived for a year. Do I need to get him a bigger tank to ensure his longevity? I also have a small aerator would it be a good idea to use it?

You need to have atleast a 5 gallon with a heater and a filter.

Why do they sell you tiny bowls if they aren't good for your fish?!?!? Lol. 5g for just the one fish, can I get a 2.5 g or will it just be much happier in a 5? I can get one of the kits with pump and everything for pretty cheap right now.

Here is a picture of him, I think he's magnificent so I will do w/e I need to properly care for him.

Attachments

• image-1943300381.jpg
    image-1943300381.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 107
He has really big lips much bigger then all the other beta...

You'll find that Bettas are way more fun to watch when they have more space. They do the goofiest things. :)

You'll find that Bettas are way more fun to watch when they have more space. They do the goofiest things. :)

I was told you can put a divider in the tank and have 2 and they will flare up at each other through the glass. That's why I wanted to know if they can be in 2.5 bc I was going to get another 5g tank just for him but my hubby wanted to know about another in the tank. Male and female pair can be together right? Just not male male. What about female female? Just out of curiosity. I am finding mixed information on the subject.

I am getting majority info what I thought, solitary fish.

Poliwog17 said:
I was told you can put a divider in the tank and have 2 and they will flare up at each other through the glass. That's why I wanted to know if they can be in 2.5 bc I was going to get another 5g tank just for him but my hubby wanted to know about another in the tank. Male and female pair can be together right? Just not male male. What about female female? Just out of curiosity. I am finding mixed information on the subject.

Not really they don't do well together long term at all from what I understand. If you get a bigger tank you could do a couple snails, my betta does fine with cory cats( but at least a 10 gallon would be best). Or you could do dwarf frogs, but keep an eye on them to make sure they are getting enough food.

Not really they don't do well together long term at all from what I understand. If you get a bigger tank you could do a couple snails, my betta does fine with cory cats( but at least a 10 gallon would be best). Or you could do dwarf frogs, but keep an eye on them to make sure they are getting enough food.

What would you think about ghost or cherry shrimp? I would think it might pick at them.

A betta would be fine in a 2.5. Even though a 5 would be better. You can't keep a male/female pair together permanatly. They should only be together for a few hours just to breed. And they would need like a 10g just for breeding. Females can live together but they need like a 30-40 g for 5 of them. They do better in larger numbers but there would still be fighting. 2 females won't work In 2.5,5,10 . Infact it wouldn't work in many tank sizes. One may even kill the other. The male can live with a few snails and MAYBE bigger shrimp : ghost or amanos. You can try RCS or red rili shrimp but bettas seem to find them an expensive snack.

I have read a lot that Betta get along with community fish that are peaceful and won't get confused for another Betta. Preferably drab fish. Pleco's, African dwarf frogs and RCS are they most highly recommended though. I don't want to put him in a community tank but I am thinking about buying some RCS from eBay and giving them plenty of hiding space. They will each have a 12.5g side of the tank. I will only keep one until I have another pump unless one will work for a 15g with a partition in the middle?

A betta would be fine in a 2.5. Even though a 5 would be better. You can't keep a male/female pair together permanatly. They should only be together for a few hours just to breed. And they would need like a 10g just for breeding. Females can live together but they need like a 30-40 g for 5 of them. They do better in larger numbers but there would still be fighting. 2 females won't work In 2.5,5,10 . Infact it wouldn't work in many tank sizes. One may even kill the other. The male can live with a few snails and MAYBE bigger shrimp : ghost or amanos. You can try RCS or red rili shrimp but bettas seem to find them an expensive snack.

Hahahahaha! A tasty snack! I read that if you but enough of them they breed rather quickly and sometimes you get ones who already have eggs so once they start having hatching the Betta much prefers the eggs and juveniles and leaves the adults well alone. I have also read Amanos are good but Ghosties are bold and might nip fins.

The only Amanos I can find would cost me a lot more the the RCS too :/

Back
Top Bottom