Crypto/ich cured overnight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetsetter57

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Noticed white spots on the eyes of my Domino damsel and progressed overnight to head and upper trunk. Other 3 fish are fine, I rushed out to get some medicine and my LFS sold me "Herbatana, 100% Natural Expellant for Parasitic Diseases" Reef and Marine safe. It's a treatment that I can use in my display tank and it won't kill any of my cleanup crew. I have no coral/nems or plants. After I got home from work the Domino showed no white spots at all and the other fish still seem fine.

Anyone have experience using this product?
Do I need to rush this treatment into the tank before it's an all out parasite frenzy or did I miss diagnose the problem in the first place?
Is it possible his immune system just got rid of it that fast?
He was scratching his inner gill on a small fake plant yesterday but not today but eating voraciously throughout this event.

Thank you in advance forum, wouldn't have had the courage to start saltwater without you all.

No, the visible signs of ich fall off as pasty of its cycle. Most people mistake this as a miracle cure. If you did have ich (and you may not, it's important to diagnose correctly) it is still there. There are only two proven cures for ich, copper or hypo, both done in a QT...

He had the spots again last night and again this morning they were gone. Rooting in the substrate? Should I just wait it out to see if the other fish show signs or just treat it with the "natural" stuff I got?

No, the visible signs of ich fall off as pasty of its cycle. Most people mistake this as a miracle cure. If you did have ich (and you may not, it's important to diagnose correctly) it is still there. There are only two proven cures for ich, copper or hypo, both done in a QT...

I tend to disagree that there are ONLY two proven cures. Let's not forget about heat treatment, WC's and those (I don't) that add salt.

Back
Top Bottom