Curses.......Dino and cyano outbreaks in separate tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jschier

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after returning from a week vacation (tanks were maintained by LFS guy), one of my 16g has an outbreak of cyano and the other has serious dinoflagellates. I hit the google and plan to attack the dino by sand siphon, new chem-pure elite, remove CuC and 48 hr blackout. Ill get some red slime remover for the cyano. Assuming LFS guy just really enjoyed feeding my fishies. Any successful tips?

I've got a newb question lol why would you take your CUC out? Forgive the ignorance lol still learning :)

No worries, dinoflagellates are toxic to them, according to the google.

So after a couple of days of blackout, adding matrix and siphoning I've turned the lights on ( my corals really need it) and ill observe the return of dino and see what else I can do.

Nope.....back in force and now noticeable on my live stock.........could really use some ideas.

I had/have a terrible outbreak of dinos. Its been like 6 months and its starting to go away. I did a 5 day blackout, i dont have corals so that wasnt a problem. After the 5 days i turned the lights off and it was gone. Only kept the lights on for 4 hours a day for a few weeks then slowly started leaving them on longer. As soon as i hit an 8 hour light schedule the dinos came back but not nearly as bad. So thats where i am now, its not as bad as it was but its still there and driving me nuts! I lost almost all my snails from this stuff. Good luck with your battle!

So I've got only 4 days until I leave for a week again. I've removed all my coral and cuc so it's basically a FOWLR tank. Siphon and big water change tonight and another 2 day blackout. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom