Curved spine in guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlyciaMari20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last night I lost a male guppy that was given to me. He had a curved spine and just overal seemed older then the rest. He was eatin and everything fine until he started resting on the bottom more often and I pulled him out last night, dead.
I’m noticing a curved spine in a female too, I noticed it before but wasn’t concerned until the male died. Hers became curved after dropping some fry. She dropped them too early and only 5 ere developed and the rest were still eggs.

I do have photos however it’s telling me that I’m not able to share them as I’m using the app

Often times a curved spine indicates an intestinal bacterial infection. IMO, its best to remove any obviously infected fish asap. You can try antibiotics, but the chances for recovery are remote.

Often times a curved spine indicates an intestinal bacterial infection. IMO, its best to remove any obviously infected fish asap. You can try antibiotics, but the chances for recovery are remote.
+1 to this, as well as that curved spines is common sign in Guppies of genetic TB so removal when first seen will help curtail the passing of this genetics to the next generation. It is rarely curable once it starts so if it is genetic it would need to be bred out of the line.
If it is not genetic but another form of TB, it is spread from fish to fish when the infected fish is fed upon by other fish so removal before this point can help keep the condition from spreading.

Back
Top Bottom