Cyano bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait430

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all, its been a while because Ive been away but now Im back and have missed everything. Sooo, the tank is doing well except I think I may have some cyano bacteria. I took pictures but will only be able to post them later this evening.
As for now, I have found several patches of reddish stuff on parts of the substrate (round patches and about the size of a quarter). I have seen to smaller round spots on the rock as well. If this is cyano, what is the best way to treat and cure it????

Get us the pic to confirm. If it is cyano, making sure your water parameters and nutrients are in check is the key. As for what's growing, manual removal with a gravel vac or syringe, etc is the way to get it out.

My params are very very good. Checked them last night.

pH = 8.2
Nitrate = 10
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Alkalinity = 180
SG = 1.023

Im going to do a 30% water change this weekend and Im going to use my gravel vac to try to get it all out. It seems like it definitely is cyano because it is slimy and it comes right off of the top of the substrate in one piece.

Hello all, its been a while because Ive been away but now Im back and have missed everything. Sooo, the tank is doing well except I think I may have some cyano bacteria. I took pictures but will only be able to post them later this evening.
As for now, I have found several patches of reddish stuff on parts of the substrate (round patches and about the size of a quarter). I have seen to smaller round spots on the rock as well. If this is cyano, what is the best way to treat and cure it????

Lets see, where have I heard that before?:rolleyes:

if it is cyano, and your water is good, it might be caused by failing lights, i had some but I like watching everything eat so I knew my problem. I cut my light cycle down no like= no algae i removed the substrate this it was covering and got another powerhead to circulate more water in that are, reduced feeding, i did about a 40% water change over a month period and I havent seen it since

Back
Top Bottom