Cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkeating8

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Guys!

I have an outbreak of cyanobacteria on my hands. I'm not sure what the root cause is, and how should I treat it?

Tank Specs:
5.5 gallon
Pressurized co2
EI Fert regimen
CFL lighting

Ph- 7
Am- 0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-40

I have an ADA 60-P coming in the mail soon, and I want to eradicate this before I introduce it to that tank. How should I treat it?

I just successfully treated my tank for cyano (BGA).. I used Maracyn (not Maracyn two) that had the active ingredient erythromycin. Sure enough, it eradicated the BGA with no issues to my BB or inhabitants.

Oh and congrats on the ADA 60P! LMK when you start the build thread...would love to follow!

I just successfully treated my tank for cyano (BGA).. I used Maracyn (not Maracyn two) that had the active ingredient erythromycin. Sure enough, it eradicated the BGA with no issues to my BB or inhabitants.

Oh and congrats on the ADA 60P! LMK when you start the build thread...would love to follow!

What brand did you use and how many times did you have to treat?

Thanks, Brian! This stuff is starting to really make me mad. I'll pick up some tonight after I go to lowes to get the materials for the stand. The build thread hopefully will start at the end of the week. Just want to get rid of this first.

Sounds good.. Try to manually remove as much BGA as you can prior to treatment. The dying BGA, if a lot, can affect water quality. Do a PWC at the end of treatment. I dosed as directed on the package.

Ok will do. I read about that. I'm going to spot treat with H2O2 along with the Maracyn.

I really wouldn't spot treat with H2O2 while your using Maracyn in the tank. I don't know if there could be a chemical reaction but it's not worth risking the fish IMO.

Gotcha. Decided against it. Just dosed. I ended up getting actual erythromycin because petsmart was out of Maracyn. A found something very strange! I've been looking for downoi for a little bit now, and sure enough..
They had it along with Rotala Wallichi, HC, and something else that escapes me right now.

Attachments

• image-1486705582.jpg
    image-1486705582.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 55
That's pretty amazing! Considering how it sells out in about 2 minutes after someone lists it on TPT I gotta start heading down to Petsmart!

Yeah! It's freaking nuts! The mystery plant I couldn't remember was Staurogyne Repens 049. It was 8$! I had to have it! They also had a ton of crypts and E. Parvula.

Wow 8 bucks is nuts! What state are you in? How many crowns of downoi are in the container? I'm about to shoot down to Petsmart! Lol

How about the s. Repens? How many stems are in there?

I'm in PA! Harrisburg to be specific. Dude, there's probably upwards of 30 crowns in it! The Staurogyne had significantly less, probably around 15

I wish I could find a list of all the plants that Top Fin sells, but I can't find one.

Man you could totally resell those and make the big bucks! I just bought 3 "big" crowns online for $24 shipped! It's even more expensive than that to buy it here in HI locally!

Haha! I thought about it. It's soooooo worth the 8$. I just can't plant them yet till I get rid of this cyano. Haha. They should be fine though.

Yeah just called my local Petsmart.. They said they have the new tags out for 8 new plants but they don't get their shipment until Monday -- p. helferi being one of them! :)

Sweet! Looks like I'll be visiting my petsmart for plants when I get my new tank going. Whenever that will be. :/

Wow I'm in and out of Pet Smart a lot for dog and cat stuff. I'll have to see if they have it here, not that I need any downoi but it's nice to see more plants being offered. 6 large crowns of Downoi commonly go for $40-$50 shipped.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I almost got Staurogyne Repens too, but not enough room for it. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom