Cycle done after a week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know it doesn't make sense, but my ammonia is at 0.25 and i'm not showing nitrites yet. Tank is 80Gal. Here is what I've done:

Dec 21--cleaned tank with 50/50 RO water/vinegar mix. Rinsed base rock in de-chlorinated tap water and then in RO water
Dec 22-- Filled tank with RO and running carbon in filter, heater and both powerheads. Added salt to get 1.023.
Dec 23-- Added 4 bags aragalive fiji pink and 40lbs reefrocks.net sand. Removed carbon and used 2 little packets of bio-magnet clarifier that came with the aragalive sand. Added 50 drops pure ammonia to reach 8.0ppm.
Dec 24-- cleaned filter and media because of fine sediment buildup from new sand. added another 5 drops ammonia. Still at 8.0ppm. Started up skimmer.
Dec 25-- Water is fairly clear. Ammonia has dropped to between 4.0-8.0ppm. Added another 5 drops pure ammonia. Salt still at 1.023.
Dec 26-- Water is super clear. Ammonia between 2.0-4.0ppm. Added 5 drops ammonia again.
Dec 27-- Ammonia at 0.25. Tested for Nitrites but nothing yet. Added 5 drops ammonia.

Havent tested today yet. I know the AragAlive sand says fish can be added immediately, could it be that the live bacteria has led to the fast cycle? Skimmer is pulling out dissolved organics already.

I followed this for cycling HOW TO CYCLE A NEW FISH TANK IN 1 WEEK! YES, 7 DAYS! | eBay

Looking for some peoples thoughts. I'll continue testing daily and hopefully will see nitrites soon.

Last edited:
Yeah that's very much possible that your tank cycled in a week. I used a bacteria additive to my tank in it cycled in about the same time. Those products work so well that it does cycle in such a short period of time. If you go and add some fish you are going to see some serious spikes in ammonia and etc; because you used base rock. I would pick a hardy fish like a clown to finish off the cycle.

If you are reading ammonia then your tank is not cycled yet. Keep dosing ammonia until you get a 0 reading after 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom