Cycle new aquarium with old water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vexxiang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I jumpstart a new aquarium by filling it with water from one that's already established?

Can I jumpstart a new aquarium by filling it with water from one that's already established?

No you need to use removable surface area where the bacteria reside. Namely the filter media (sponges, ceramic rings etc) gravel ornaments and plants. The bacteria are not in the water column.

Taking out a part of the filter media and placing it in the new tank will jump start the cycle for sure. Just replace what you have removed from the older tank with new.

Safety measure, the stand is anchored by two heavy chains into the 2x4 frame studs in the wall.

Attachments

• 1404590802606.jpg
    1404590802606.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 69
Curious as to the point of anchoring the stand. Do you live on a fault line ? Have a lot of drinking friends ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

No, I have a 5 year old and her friends are always over. Don't need any squished guests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, I have a 5 year old and her friends are always over. Don't need any squished guests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Makes sense. My TV is chained to a stud in the wall. Aside from making it harder to steal, it makes it difficult to tip over (which was the original intent).

Back
Top Bottom