Cycle ok? And cycling while camping????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I'm doing my first fish less cycle and things seem to be happening so I was hoping you guys could reassure me things are on track...or let me know if they aren't, lol. I'm trying to follow "The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling". I'm guessing I'm between I. and J.
20 gallon tall, setup 12/27.
Sand substrate, Penguin 150 bio wheel filter, drift wood, 3 live plants, a rock and old filter media from my established 10 gallon.
I tried using fish food as my ammonia source for like a week but wasn't getting anywhere so I started using ACE Janitorial Strength 10% ammonia hydroxide on 1/03
As of tonight 01/08;
Ammonia .50
nitrite. .50
Nitrate .40
I am on track? Do I keep dosing until nitrites and nitrates are super super high?
Also, I'm sort of freaking out because tomorrow I am going camping for 2 nights and won't be back until Sun night. Will my cycle survive until I get back????
Thank you guys for any feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The bacteria can go for weeks without a food source so a few days won't do any harm, except maybe slow the cycle down a bit. I'd enjoy the camping :)

Hey Dela,
Thanks for the response. Does it sound to you like my cycle is on track and where it should be?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Have you tested your tap water to get base line readings?

When I re-started the lfs gave me some of their tank gravel to seed the tank. Can you get anything like that to speed the cycle up?

When nitrates come in and start reading in ppm's, I'd suggest halving the ammonia dosing.

Edit - sorry that should be nitrItes

Last edited:
Have you tested your tap water to get base line readings?

When I re-started the lfs gave me some of their tank gravel to seed the tank. Can you get anything like that to speed the cycle up?

When nitrates come in and start reading in ppm's, I'd suggest halving the ammonia dosing.

Edit - sorry that should be nitrItes

Hmmm....I don't know that it ever occurred to me to test my tap water. I'll do that tonight. When I set the tank up about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I put filter media and some rocks from my 10 gallon tank to help seed.

It is amazing how many people assume their source water, usually tap, has zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. The fight on to get there tank balanced only to discover their tap water is at fault.
I check my tap water once every couple of months to ensure it stays consistent, particularly during dry spells when reservoirs are not being refreshed by new rain fall.
Back to your original question: I left a tank for a week whilst cycling. Upped the ammonia to 5ppm before departing. Returned to zero ammonia & nitrite and a high nitrate. Job done. So don't fret about just a couple of days - enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom