Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish noob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been cycling my 60 gallon cube for a week. I originally dosed the ammonia to 4ppm.

My numbers are now:

Ammonia- approx 2ppm
Nitrite- well over 5ppm
Nitrate- approx 80ppm

What should I do now? Water change? Add more ammonia? Just let it ride? Thanks for the help.

Also, should algae develop in the aquarium? I don't notice any yet, but the LFS said that is a a good sign. Is that true?

I would let it ride for now. You have the ammonia getting eaten up and nitrites and trates are being produced so you are like mid cycle. But it looks like it should as far as the numbers. :)

You only need to do a water change usually at the end, when you have crazy nitrates and no ammonia or nitrite.

I would keep my lights off for the cycle, no need to encourage algae to grow now, you'll have a mess of it by the time you finish cycling which won't be pretty or easy to get rid of.

Are you using ro.di water? that can contribute to algae growth....

Ok, thanks. Yes, I'm using RODI water.

I just read somewhere that I should add more ammonia when it drops to 1ppm in order to keep feeding the bacteria. Is that true?

yep. you need to keep it going once it gets down low. I usually let it get to 0 or close to it. At some point 4ppm will disappear overnight, thats when you get to the almost stage. lol

Back
Top Bottom