Cycle stalled after completing, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Watsonja4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so after about a month my cycle finally finished, I did the 4ppm 24hour test and all was good. I started dosing the tank with 1ppm ammonia everyday until my fish arrived at my lfs(had to order the false Julii's) here is where my problems started. After 2 days of dosing 1ppm I tested my water and still 1ppm ammonia 24hours later, nitrites-0, nitrates-160+, and PH-8.2. My guess is the cycle stalled but my ph has not budged the whole cycle. I did a 50% water change and added a pinch of powdered flake food last night. I tested my water again 16hours later and ammonia seems the same so what should I do now or will the cycle take a little time to get going after a stall. I have until Friday to get this figured out and just to be clear I have not done anything else to tank or filter and dechlorinator was used.
Thanks in advance:thanks:

What was your ammonia dosing amount and schedule before? I assume it was more than 1ppm per day but wanted to ask.

for the ph problem i use catappa leaves you can pick them up for little to nothing on amzon

Sorry for the late reply but I think I fixed it with the 50% water change. After looking back through my records it had been 14 days since I last did a water change, my guess is my water was lacking minerals that the bacteria needed to work.

And to answer your question delapool I cycled the tank with 4ppm or at least I tried, the api test kit can be hard to read at times.

Back
Top Bottom