Cycle with fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moe36

Aquarium Advice Regular
I cant find pure ammonia here (they have ingredients on the side), and my parents cant bring anything outside of their work (shes a chemist). Ive heard of fish food used as ammonia; will it work? How much do i add in a 20g high? Any particular brand?

Specs:

20g high
Whisper 20
100W heater
Sand substrate
Driftwood and rock
Lights
DIY hood
DIY CO2
Fish Food
Dechlors'

A really good way to do a fishless cycle is to buy a raw peice of shrimp and toss it in the tank. As it starts to decay, it will produce ammonia and the cycle will be on its way.

Really? 8O

I thought that was only for SW aquariums.
How many pieces? And how long do you leave it in..

Sorry for all the Q's.
Thanks.

I usually use a chunk of frozen bloodworms. Since they sink really well I'll usually put them in a clean coffee mug so they don't gunk up the tank/filter. The 30 gal I'm running is being done this way and after 3-4 days I have an ammonia reading of about .5 ppm.

I've heard about the shrimp method but it has one undesirable side effect; since the shrimp floats (usually) it stinks up the area around the tank as it rots. I've never done it this way personally, but I have heard stories more than once about it...

have you tried walmart? all of the walmarts around here have it. its called "clear ammonia" and its in the cleaning products/bleach isle.

actually 2/3 of them have it but its just because i havent checked the other one

Back
Top Bottom