Cycling a 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MNora0586

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to do a fishless cycle to my 55 gallon tank. I have had it over a month and it hasn't cycled. I used clear ammonia to cycle the tank. The Ammonia reading has been 8ppm since I put the ammonia in. I realize now that I put too much ammonia in (after getting nowhere and researching the problem) So I did am 80% water change (not sure if that was right), waited the next day, still 8ppm. Did 25% water change 3 times today and still 8ppm. Also I need to say that all the times I tested the ammonia levels I also tested the nitrites and nitrates and they both stayed 0. I do not know what else to do. I also wanted to add that the I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit and the results started to be a dark green indicating high levels of Ammonia. Now it reads dark blue. Any ideas, why?. I still believe the ammonia is high but why the change in color? The results chart I look at to tell me the results has no blue color to it. It goes from yellow to dark green. I am totally lost right now on what to do next. Any advise will be extremely helpful.

Also, my tap water is fine. I have tested it and it reads 0 for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. I used the liquid test kit. The Ammonia I used only has Ammonia Hydroxide as the ingredient in it.

Does it bubble or foam when you shake it. Something sounds strange, the wc shoulda cut the ammonia way down. Is it the kit or strips?

Hi and welcome! I'm not sure why the test is reading blue, that's odd, unless there's so much ammonia in there that the chart can't register it. What brand off ammonia are you using, what % of ammonia does it say on the bottle and how much did you put in inititally? Were you adding ammonia every day?

You're using the API kit, right? Is it new? On the bottles there should be a bunch of numbers; what are the last 4 numbers on the ammonia bottles? That tells you the manufacture date; I believe the test is good for 2-3 years but it's possible to have bought one off the shelf that has expired. Also try shaking the bottles for a few seconds before using them.

Try doing a couple more 100% water changes; soak up as much water as you can, even down into the substrate if you have it. Also what dechlorinator are you using?

You might also want to take the filter off and pour out any water in there and rinse off the media in dechlorinated tap water then put it all back on. Just to rinse off any extra ammonia that may be in there. If your ammmonia has been that high for this long that's most likely why the cycle hasn't started.

Reactions: jlk
Please read Librarygirls blue highlighted link 'New empty tank'- it answers alot of questions in respect to fishless cycling. Welcome to AA, btw!!!! Dont hesitate to ask any questions you may have! :)

Thanks Guys!

Well, Thanks to all of you, I figured out what was wrong. I put way to much ammonia in the tank. :facepalm:
Everything else is fine. The ammonia I used is good (with the exception of putting to much in), and my test kit is fine (use liquid kit)
I have been doing water changes and been testing the results and it has gone down. Its not at 4ppm yet but I am working on it. Its finally showing green instead of blue!

Thanks to all for your time and effort in helping me with this. Couldn't have done it without you! :thanks:

I am glad your getting the ammonia situation under control! Hopefully, your cycle will kick into gear once you get the amm level low enough. If we can help, please let us know! :)

Next Step?

Ok, So I finally got the Ammonia down to 4ppm. What do I do now?

Good job!! Ok, now you just have to wait for the ammonia to start to drop on its own. Test your amm & ph daily for changes. Once your ammonia drops below 2ppm, you will need to redose amm but ONLY enough to bring it up to 4ppm & no more. This will be a tiny amount of ammonia. Ill post a link to the amm calculator- you will need to fill in the gallons & change the 5ppm to 4ppm. Most amm is @10% concentration. The dose it will give you is the dose to bring your amm from zero to 4ppm- you will need to adjust the amount lower if you only need to bring your amm from 2 to 4.

If you have access to any cycled media (friend, lfs, etc), this will help to speed your cycle up. Alot of members have had success cycling their tanks using 'active' filters from Angelsplus (if you order, make sure its a filter labeled 'active'). Your tank will still cycle without seeded media, but you will need to have some patience! :)

Calculator

Sponge Filters for aquariums

Will Do

Thank you so much! I will do everything you told me to and keep you posted, cause odds are I will be back with more questions. :-D

Almost There!

Ok, I'm back and with more questions. Right now I tested my tank water and here are the results.
PH- 7.6ppm
High Range PH- 8.2ppm
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 35ppm

I am worried about the High Range PH. If it wasn't for that I would think my tank is finally cycled. Ohh and the fish I have is a Fancy Gold Fish. So is the HR-PH good or should I get the PH down? If not, then is my tank cycled?

Is your ammonia & nitrite dropping steadily to 0 from 4ppm in 24hrs? How long has it been doing this? 8.2 ph is fine & most fancy breeders prefer a higher ph anyway so this is nothing to worry about. Let us know where you are at in your cycle & we can further advise. :)

When I got the Ammonia down to 4ppm to start, I tested the water everyday. When it got down to 2ppms I added more ammonia back into the tank to get it to 4ppm again. By this time, I tested for Nitrites, which came back in high levels. Everyday after that I tested the ammonia and the results declined in levels really quickly. When i first got the results for the Nitrites (at high levels) there weren't any Nitrates. However as the Nitrites started to decrease in levels (because I didn't add anymore ammonia) then the Nitrates started showing.

And right now the levels I posted last is where my tank stands.

the time frame is approx. 3 weeks it took from the starting point to now.

Ok, you will need to redose ammonia to 4ppm and check your levels in 24hrs & let us know what they read. Your amm>nitrite bacteria may have decreased in their levels because you have not been dosing ammonia daily. You will need to continue to dose amm daily. If your amm & nitrite zero out in 24hrs steadily for a couple of days, then its safe to say you are cycled. Let us know how things are going! :)

Will do. I will put the ammonia in right now get it to 4ppms and test it tommorrow and will post you the results.

Thanks for your help.​

OK, at midnight I got the Ammonia to 4ppms. I also test the nitrite and it was 0. Today I tested the water @ 2:30pm. The results are this,

Ammonia 3.0ppm
Nitrite .25pmm

Should I add more ammonia now and get it back to 4.0ppm or wait till the 24hr mark, test it again, and then add the ammonia?

If you will be up later, I would test at the 24hr mark. I suspect your amm>nitrite bacteria may have suffered a bit from the lack of food source (ammonia) so it may take them a bit to get back back up to speed. At the 24hr mark (or even an hr or two sooner), retest everything & see how it looks. Then add enough ammonia to bring it back up to 4ppm- it likely will not be a full dose, just enough to bring it from where it reads up to 4.

I tested the water just now and here are the results.

Ammonia - 1.0ppm
Nitrites - .35ppm

I put in more ammonia and got it back up to 4ppm.

Good job! Continue to redose ammonia once a day until you see zeroes for ammonia/nitrite steadily. Make sure you monitor your ph for any changes, too. :)

I tested my water now (11:48am) and here are the results

Ammonia - 1.0ppm
Nitrites - 2.0ppm
High Range PH - 8.2ppm

I will do another test tonight (24hr mark) and then add more ammonia to get it back up to 4ppm. I will give those results as well. I've decided to keep you informed about any results I get. I just want to be sure I'm doing this correctly. (y)

thank you so much for your patients and help. :thanks:

Looks like your right on track- your ammonia should be pretty close to zero by tonight. Check your nitrates tonight as well so we can see if they are starting to jump. :)

Back
Top Bottom