Cycling a Nano Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GulfShrimplet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it possible to cycle a filter meant for a 6g tank if I use a bacteria? I just bought a 9g tank (Eheim Aquastyle) for a betta. I want to use an add-on filter instead of the stock one for low flow.

I'm thinking of getting a nano filter rated up to six gallons (if anyone is interested it is the Tom Mini) but using it in a planted 9g almost full of water. Is there enough media to cycle so I don't have to change the water more than once a week or so?

If this won't work, can anyone suggest a very quiet slow filter for a betta tank which can handle 9g of water?

Thank you!

Just take the media out of the old one, and add it into the new one. Then you can take it out after a few weeks. I would just leave it in there, so if you want/need to set up another tank, you will have plenty of filter media for the new filter/tank.

Any other questions?

Thank you for answering. Both filters are new and never used but I'm guessing you think it is possible to cycle a nano filter?

Thanks. Good to know that. I'm hoping a fresh bottle of Dr. Tim's bacteria, shipped in a cooler from their company, will be just what will work. Makes it easier on both the fish and me.

Thanks. Good to know that. I'm hoping a fresh bottle of Dr. Tim's bacteria, shipped in a cooler from their company, will be just what will work. Makes it easier on both the fish and me.

I usually advise against getting a bacteria starter like that, but Dr. Tim's seems like a good company. Just make sure you keep a close eye on your water parameters, and do water changes as needed.
It sounds like you are doing a fish in cycle?
Also, are you using a liquid test kit?

Hi SH,

Wow, I guess I am doing a fish-in cycle but I was hoping to avoid the cycle altogether with the Dr. Tim's! I went to the extent of having the bottle sent directly from them in a weather-resistent cooler so I hope it works!

I do indeed have a brand new liquid API master test kit. I've been practicing with my straight tap water and two brands of bottled water. I'll test Prime(d) tap water when Prime arrives in the mail. I still plan to test daily to make sure it's not cycling. Do you think I should save some/buy some more Dr. Tim's in case the first application doesn't work?

Hi SH,

Wow, I guess I am doing a fish-in cycle but I was hoping to avoid the cycle altogether with the Dr. Tim's! I went to the extent of having the bottle sent directly from them in a weather-resistent cooler so I hope it works!

I do indeed have a brand new liquid API master test kit. I've been practicing with my straight tap water and two brands of bottled water. I'll test Prime(d) tap water when Prime arrives in the mail. I still plan to test daily to make sure it's not cycling. Do you think I should save some/buy some more Dr. Tim's in case the first application doesn't work?

It will possibly skip the cycle. What the bacteria in a bottle is supposed to do is put the BB in the tank system to give it a head start. That way the cycle can happen without the ammonia and nitrite spikes. I am also assuming you are doing a cycle for a betta?

It is good to practice with the tap water so when you test tank water you don't waste tests.
I am not sure what the instructions are for the Dr. Tims are, so I cannot answer that question. I am assuming that it is like Tetra Safe Start, but usually when people use that, they add the whole bottle instead of a "dose". I would guess it is more expensive that way considering if it doesn't work and you need to add another bottle, but my guess if it doesn't work the first timeit won't work a second time, but I could be wrong.

Prime will also help, because it also neutralises ammonia.

Thank you, ScottyHorse.

Yes, your welcome! :)

Just curious, what are you going to put in the tank?

EDIT- Just saw you are going to be putting a betta in there! Silly me.

Also to answer one of your other questions, yes, a filter for a 6 gallon tank will be fine! Bettas have a low bioload, so if you do 30% water changes, (weekly) you will have one happy betta!

Yes, your welcome! :)

Just curious, what are you going to put in the tank?

EDIT- Just saw you are going to be putting a betta in there! Silly me.

Also to answer one of your other questions, yes, a filter for a 6 gallon tank will be fine! Bettas have a low bioload, so if you do 30% water changes, (weekly) you will have one happy betta!
That is good to know about the filter and water changes. Thanks.

Silly!?!? Never! You just missed it, that's all.

I really appreciate your putting my mind at ease about this tank. I want the betta to have a long happy life.

Haha. I am glad to be reading that you are so concerned about his health and well being, instead of plopping him in one of those unheated/filtered bowls.

Let us know how that Dr. Tims stuff works, I'll be following a long! :)

Sounds like he will have a happy and long life!

Here's the tank I bought:Eheim Aquastyle Aquarium w/ 2 Free Eheim Replacement Filter Pads . The stock filter is too strong so I will used the TOM filter for the betta. (Wow that price went up since Christmas!)

In a few months, I plan to buy an ADA high clarity tank for the betta, an 18g long and shallow 60-P model. This price Lmost doubled since Christmas. I might have to rethink that. The Eheim tank should be mature enough to house Blue Pearl neocaridina shrimp by then.

I'd planned to get only a betta but the Eheim Aquastyle seems better suited for shrimp; in fact the online manual very strongly stated that it was suitable only for shrimp so I decided to go with it as I waited for the tank to arrive. When it got here, the insert claimed the tank was suitable for rams, Bettas and so on but the filter seems too strong for Bettas. I hate to let the stock light and filter go to waste. There will be no room for them in the glass lid once a heater and filter cords are put in the cut out.

Since I'd decided to get shrimp in the meantime I'm going to go ahead and do that. I want the betta more, so letting him get the tank ready for shrimp is a win win. It was way too expensive to send back the Aquastyle so I'll have two planted tanks when I was only planning on one. Fortuitous mistake.

Back
Top Bottom