Cycling a small tank for hermit crabs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
How would i go about cycling a small 5 gallon tank for some hermit crabs? I find some at lfs that were really tiny and cheap. Would i need live rock? Do i need to cycle it any differently than a freshwater tank?

I have no idea. The ones i saw were the size of nickels. They were labeled as Zebra hermit crabs but they didn't look anything like them.

Zebra hermits aka left handed hermits (Calcinus laevimanus) lose their "zebra" appearance as they get larger. Does the left claw look much larger than the other?

As far as your set up is concerned if just keeping these guys, the basics will do. You don't necessarily need LR as they are negligable on the bioload. I would however suggest a few small pieces if you can get some cheap. It will give them something to pick at naturally and add to you viewing pleasure overall, but again not absolutely necessary.

When feeding, keep it light and sparse. A few times a week is fine and use sinking type pellets so the food is not wasted and the crabs can access it immediately before it deteriorates.

Cheers
Steve

Re: Cycling a small tank for hermit crabs

The ones i saw were red. They didn't look like zebra hermitcrabs at all.

Red, could be red leg or scarlet hermits. Nothing changes from what Steve says about the tank set up. Toss in some empty shells for them to use when they want a bigger home.

Back
Top Bottom