Cycling - does this sound right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive read several threads and articles here on AA :) and have been cycling with 4 black striped tetras for the past 2-3 days.

Unfortunately, my heater malfunctioned and 3 of the tetras met their makers sometime yesterday :( New heater installed, running at a nice 78-79f now! My tank is also close to a window, so I closed the blinds and pinned up a black blanket in front of the window. Ive heard the less natural sunlight, the better - is this true?

Anyways, I went and bought some "Cycle" product by Nutrafin at my LFS and 4 zebra danios at the same time. I have a 30g FW tank, so I added the about 75ml of the Cycle product, per the instructions (basically 3 capfuls 25ml ea). I pour a capful over the bio-foam in my Whisper 30 filter too. Im going to add 10ml tomorrow and the next day, per the instructions.

Basically the Cycle product, 5 little fish (4 zebra danios & 1 black striped tetra), testing 2x daily for ammonia spikes, blinds closed in room w/blanket draped in front of window, temperature 78-79f, and very little flake food 1x daily. I did a 30% water change yesterday and the water was warm (didnt realize the heater was on its way out) and the fish seemed stressed. At that time, the ammonia was registering about 1.0-1.5 on my API test kit.

Anyways, does this sound like a good cycle plan?

You're on your way. You'll probably have to do daily water changes since you're cycling with fish.

Limiting natural light is more to control algae growth than anything. Light won't affect the cycle.

"Cycle" won't hurt, but it might not really help. Some people swear by those products, others feel they're a waste of money.

Natural light is ok. Direct sunlight is what you want to watch out for. It's more to do with raising the temperature of the tank, which in a small tank can happen quite quickly.

You do need to do regular water changes since the ammonia is high now, however can you check nitrites too? If your filter is starting to function they should go up as the ammonia goes down.

Natural light is ok. Direct sunlight is what you want to watch out for. It's more to do with raising the temperature of the tank, which in a small tank can happen quite quickly.

You do need to do regular water changes since the ammonia is high now, however can you check nitrites too? If your filter is starting to function they should go up as the ammonia goes down.

Thanks Mark.

I checked nitrItes last night and they were low/non existant. I added the "Cycle" product today around 10am. I also checked nitrAtes earlier, mainly because I got a good deal on the test kit and had buyers excitability :)

Of course, there were no nitrAtes detectable and I knew there wouldnt be but alas...

ok. Sounds like you are on the right track in any case. For the first few weeks of setting my tank up I didn't see any nitrites either and I was worried something was wrong with the cycle, but eventually they did appear, and dragged the ammonia levels down with them.

PS. Are your tetras all stripey or do you have some white ones too?

Are you planning on planting your tank? I would put some of your more basic plants in the tank (I use hornwart). These will also help to control your nitrate and reduce alge. You should still be able to mesure the nitrite and nitrate spike with the plants in the tank, and your fish will feel more comfortable. It also gives additional surface area for bacteria to colonize.

Most of those "quick cycle" type products carry nitrifying bacteria and food for them. If the culture is new enough it should give your tank a pretty good boost. However possibly just as effective is steeling the well used filter material from a friends well established and HEALTHY tank. Though here you risk contamination if they have some kind of a nasty bug.

Are you planning on planting your tank? I would put some of your more basic plants in the tank (I use hornwart). These will also help to control your nitrate and reduce alge. You should still be able to mesure the nitrite and nitrate spike with the plants in the tank, and your fish will feel more comfortable. It also gives additional surface area for bacteria to colonize.

Most of those "quick cycle" type products carry nitrifying bacteria and food for them. If the culture is new enough it should give your tank a pretty good boost. However possibly just as effective is steeling the well used filter material from a friends well established and HEALTHY tank. Though here you risk contamination if they have some kind of a nasty bug.

Good idea with the live plants - I gotta admit, I was admiring them today at my LFS. Are there any specials lights or food I would need for some hornwart?

I have 1 friend with an aquarium right now... they arent much better off than I am. They bought their tank at Christmastime and have had 2 dieoffs since. I try to give them advice, but dont know if they take it (i.e. dont overstock at first, get hardy "cycling" fish or dont use fish, etc..). I dont know that their substrate or filter media would be a good idea at this point....lol...I have 'that kind' of luck and I can already predict what would probably happen!!

Ive thought of going onto craigslist and posting in the pets section local to me and asking for some 'healthy substrate' from an established tank. Of course, I would make sure it was a responsible owner with a healthy tank. What do you think about that?

Ok call me crazy but...

I added 75ml of the "Cycle" Product this morning, around 10am. At the time, the tank was cloudy. I figured it was ammonia, chemicals and stuff. When I got home at 5:30pm today, the tank was much, much clearer than this morning!

This morning you could see the cloudiness roll around in the current from the filter outflow and the bubbler. You cannot see that anymore. The zebra danios seem to be pretty happy and the 1 left tetra is buzzing around schooling with them.

Test your water and see if the parameters have changed. Milky white cloud can be a sign of a natural bacteria bloom, or the cycle stuff could have clouded your water along with fish disturbing particles in the substrate, excessive food and so forth.

Test your water and see if the parameters have changed. Milky white cloud can be a sign of a natural bacteria bloom, or the cycle stuff could have clouded your water along with fish disturbing particles in the substrate, excessive food and so forth.

I did, no change. Ammonia is at .5-1.0 and nitrites 0, nitrates 0.

Still, the tank is clearer now, almost totally clear. Could the bacteria in the "cycle" stuff that I added have contributed to it clearing up? Could it have been a bacteria bloom already? (ive had the tank running w/fish since sunday) Or just a coincidence?

I did, no change. Ammonia is at .5-1.0 and nitrites 0, nitrates 0.

Still, the tank is clearer now, almost totally clear. Could the bacteria in the "cycle" stuff that I added have contributed to it clearing up? Could it have been a bacteria bloom already? (ive had the tank running w/fish since sunday) Or just a coincidence?

I would guess that it was a bacteria bloom from the cycle stuff Did it happen while you put the cycle stuff in or was it afterward?

I think it is just a coincidence since your parameters have stayed the same. Just keep an eye on your parameters and you will know within a day or few where you stand with the cycle.

I would guess that it was a bacteria bloom from the cycle stuff Did it happen while you put the cycle stuff in or was it afterward?

It was cloudy before the Cycle was added.

After I added it, it cleared up. Today it was crystal clear :confused:

I will test the water parameters when I go home for lunch (noon-ish).

Back
Top Bottom