Cycling help concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I started my 75 gallon reef tank about 10 days ago. Contains about 100 pounds of live/base rock. 1 week ago I put up a post about asking if my tank cycled in 3 days or if it hasn't even started and everyone thought that it hasn't even started. Here were my results last week.
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0-.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Today my results are the same. The difference between last week and this week is I got algae like no other and it's covered everything. Supposively it's all diatoms. But I also added 2 pieces of shrimp to the tank that are decaying. So could my tank really be cycled?
Please Tell me what you think, would be greatly appreciated.

image-637912973.jpg

Last week

image-3380003117.jpg

Now

image-19647337.jpg

Shrimp added

Ew that is one nasty shrimp haha. It sounds like you could be especially with the diatom explosion. I'd do a good size wc to get ammonia back down and see if it comes back up in the following days. It's just odd you have 0 nitrate. Did you use all live rock?

The more those shrimp decay the more ammonia you will get. That will be the asnswer, if your rock can keep up with the ammonia produced. If it goes back down to 0 in a reasonable time frame then yes, you are good for fish. At this time though you should have nitrates as that is the end result of ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom