Cycling helppppp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teagybear

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Guys. :fish2:
On my first day of fishless cycling, My results were:
Ammo: 8 ppm.. (I had no filter in to get it going)
Nitrate: 160 ppm.
Nitrites: 0.50 ppm.
pH: Above 7.6 (Used the regular ammonia test out of my API Master Test kit)

On my second day:
Ammo: 3 ppm
Nitrate: 160 ppm
Nitrites: 5.0 ppm
pH: 8.2

Regular tap water:
Ammo: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 160 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
pH: 7.4

My tank is a 20 gallon with one filter. It is a top fin starter kit with the bio bags. It has been up and running since January 2nd. I am adding regular janitorial ammonia.

:confused:Questions:

Why is the Nitrates every where so high???
What should I do to lower them?
What should I do in general?

:thanks:Thank you so so much! Everyone here has been a big help to me!
Any suggestions would be great!

Are you on city water or well water?

Double check the instructions for the nitrate test and ensure you are doing them correctly. I am guessing there is an error in running the test.

Okay, I'm going to choose to assume that you did the test wrong (don't worry it is really easy to mess up), because I think that 160 ppm is lethal for a human lol. SO DO NOT DRINK THE TAP WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding:lol:

But seriously, the human lethality range for potassium nitrate is 54-460 ppm, so you may have done that wrong. Just follow the instructions to a T, and shake the bottle #2 for at least a minute. It needs lots of shaking.

(wait, you are using the API Master Test kit right?)

To lower them, if that is your tap water, then I honestly don't know. You can buy a RO/DI system, but that is expensive and at this point we don't even know if that test is right or not.

Now, you just wait. You seem to have started already, did you use established media?

Alright. I'm gonna do this test for the 3rd time today. I'm on city water and I have 2 established tanks. I'll put the results up ASAP. Here I go! Thanks!

Alright. I'm gonna do this test for the 3rd time today. I'm on city water and I have 2 established tanks. I'll put the results up ASAP. Here I go! Thanks!

if in doubt, do it twice in 20mon. The API tests aren't always perfect, because it has to be done perfect

Thats the ammonia card for api

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Attachments

• WP_20140108_005.jpg
    WP_20140108_005.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 52
You should call your city and ask them to send someone to check your water. That is an illegal amount of nitrates from a city water supply.

Yeah that's scary. Buy a bottle of water and test that. Maybe your kit is old or bad?

I'd buy a bottle of water and use that as a test, and call your city...

You should call your city and ask them to send someone to check your water. That is an illegal amount of nitrates from a city water supply.

I agree. We have levels like that sometimes as well but we have well water. The worst part is we have livestock and they will get nitrate poisoning easier than humans!

I'd still double check with a bottle of water. API tests aren't always the best, but its what I use as well. Never seen that, however...

Yes I'm not saying you did it wrong, I was not being sarcastic. If your tap water is that high you should contact the city. They will come out and take an official test and if the levels are above the legal limit they are required by law to take action as it will be a violation on their water quality report

? You wouldn't be in trouble. Those levels of nitrates are way above the federal allowed limit. They are dangerous to people!

*sigh* I meant that the town could be in trouble if they have 160 ppm of nitrate in their water. Not you OP.

No, just my aquarium stuff isn't working out as well as planned...

part of owning an aquarium is getting past hurdles and having fun with it.

Perhaps ro/di only water would be better for you? You can get buffets yo make it any ph and all that fun stuff.

I hope you figure it all out.

I'd buy bottled water to drink of those are the real levels, because the water coming from your tap, provided by the city is unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom