Cycling Nano Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettWalker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have setup my 10g Nano Tank. Have 10# LR & 12# LS. Will I need to use a shrimp to cycle or will the LR & LS alone cycle?

When perimeters are right, do I add cleanup crew first or fish?

Thanks, with my 55g FOLR tank, I cycled with damsels and caught h.... Don't want to do that again. :lol:

Without knowing the status of the rock, I would put in a small piece of shrimp and give it a week. If the ammonia or nitrite hasn't risen, then I would start with a clean up crew. If there is not alot of stuff for them to clean, you'll need to provide food for them. After about 2-4 weeks, you might add 1 small fish, do you know what type fish you want to put in the tank? 1 is probably all you'll be able to add, unless they are very small and peaceful.

Hi Kevin, The LR had been in a tank at Aquatetrics in G'ville for awhile and I brought home in a bucket of SW. The substrate is Arag-Alive (containing live stabilized marine bacteria for rapid cycling, supposedly). However, I will get a shrimp and place in tank for a week. When amonia & nitrite are OK, I will put in the cleanup crew.

What would you suggest for my cleanup crew? Also, what do I feed these guys? No experience in my FO tank due to my copper traces. Only have one Coral Bandid Shrimp, who eats what the fish get. Formula 2 (frozen & flakes), along with Seaweed Select.

I would like to put in a pair of Perculas. Would this be too much? How about one Percula? I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks.

Hi Bett,

How exciting that you will be adding a nano reef tank to your repertoire. I love anythingminiature; I sure hope you have a lot of success with your efforts.

Question for you... Would it be possible to use water from your established SW tank to begin your nano, as well as a few borrowed pieces of LR? Going this route, I do not believe you have much concern for the tank's need to cycle, and water changes (which will have to be frequent, depending on your filtration) can come from your main tank.

Just a thought...

Sue

Sue, Bette can't use the rock or water, because it has been dosed with copper in the recent past.

Bette, For a clean up crew I would recommend an assortment of snails (you may have to go online, you won't find them in G'ville), Couple of ceriths, couple of trochus, couple of stomatella, 1-2 nassarius. These should get you started, Guy recommended a crew for me in a previous thread, should be in the general reef forum, the numbers he gave should produce breeding populations where just a couple of each probably won't.

I think if ou get them small a pair of perc would be okay, after the tank has cycled and been stable for a while.

Kevin, I was about to reply to Sue's message that I had used copper in my main tank. :( That is one of the reasons I am starting up this 10g Nano Tank. Want to have a copper free tank to try some things in.

Also, thanks for the critter suggestions. Don't I remember in one of your past posts, that you don't care for putting crabs into your tank?

BettWalker said:
Also, thanks for the critter suggestions. Don't I remember in one of your past posts, that you don't care for putting crabs into your tank?

Well...IMO there are no such things as truely reef safe crabs, hermits or otherwise. All crabs are omnivores, some prefer algae and find it easier to eat detritus than it is to kill and eat a snail or coral or crab, but they can. Therefore no I don't recommend them, but I do use them :oops: It is one of those things where I made a decision, to do something and I keep a very close eye on them and my snails. I am ready any day to pull them out if they even look cross eyed at something I don't want them to eat.

Kevin, I went online and found each snail you mentioned. However, couldn't find a place to buy stomatella...does it also go by another name?
Can order the others from Premium Aquatics. Would like to be able to buy all from the same source.

Think I will leave the crabs out of the tank altogether if the snails do the job. I feel there is no point in asking for a problem. :D

CaliGal said:
Question for you... Would it be possible to use water from your established SW tank to begin your nano, as well as a few borrowed pieces of LR? Going this route, I do not believe you have much concern for the tank's need to cycle, and water changes (which will have to be frequent, depending on your filtration) can come from your main tank.

Just a thought...

Sue

Hi Sue, Thanks for your input. If I hadn't done such a dumb thing with the copper your idea would be great...instead I had to start with purchased LR & LS. However, I'm excited to have even the small tank to place a couple of things in that I can't do in the 55.

Hi guys,

Bett, thanks for your note. Life's lessons are so difficult some times. I am glad you did not throw in the towel after your experience. I lost several fish in the beginning of my SW experience, and I took it so hard I thought of giving my tank away. I did not give up, thank God! (And forgave myself....) Keep us posted on your nano efforts.

Kevin, to you. Were you inclined to remove your crabs from your tank, am I correct it would necessitate a breakdown of your reef? I have NEVER been able to catch a fish in my reef, and I have tried after making several poor choices of additions in my tank.

Sue

Bette, another name for stomatella are cap snails.

Sue, I am only running a 20g at this point, since I know how many I put in the tank, I would know when I was done. I also only have 5 pieces of rock, although they are med. - large pieces, making it a little easier. I could never have done it in my larger reefs. As for catching fish out of a reef I have found a fish trap made by Ultrareef called "The Trap" to be indespensable.

I just wanted to point out to anyone who did not realize (like myself) that Bett has a photo of her nano in her photo album in the photo gallery.

I must say I think the black stand, frame and hood are really nice in contrast to the white sand and the bright light from the tank.

:turn-l:

Back
Top Bottom