Cycling new tank with water and substrate from established tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashishw78

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am planning to setup a 20gal tank. Will it be wise to borrow some water/substrate form someone who has a healthy tank and cycle an empty tank?
I want to stock up this tank with small schooling fish like neon tetras.

Hi ashishw78

Taking from substrate will help a little.

I wouldnt advise using any water from an established tank. There is very little beneficial bacteria in the water column, so there is little to no benefit from doing this. All you will really getting are the bad things that might be living in there.

The best thing to move to your new would be a little filter media from the established tank, or get an old sponge and rinse it out into your water. You might still get something you don't want, but at least you know you are getting the beneficial stuff you do want.

Thanks Aiken. I am planning to make it a nano fish tank. Do you think I can do away with 1-2 weeks of cycling?

You can either fish in cycle or fishless cycle.

Using some established filter should speed up the process whichever route you go, but its impossible to say by how much or how long it will take to cycle. It will take as long as it takes.

Back
Top Bottom