Cycling not going

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok guys good news. I unstalled the cycle with the addition of a filter cartridge from my other tank and stress zyme. But now im worried. The ammonia has lowered to 4.0 in a day and then 0.75, with no sign of nitrite.Wat i think is that the original cycle was simply stalled and now its unstalled. But please any ideas?

4-5 ppm is enough to stall your cycle. Generally with fishless cycling you want to shoot for up to 4 ppm. Stress Zyme is one of those junk "bacteria booster" products and isn't helping you cycle at all. I would return it to the store along with an explanation of my displeasure at being sold something I do not need. :p

Now that you have added some old filter media, I'd honestly do a water change just to be safe. I'm not sure about this, but I think ammonia that high can overwhelm (kill) whatever beneficial bacteria you've managed to add to the tank.

Your welcome, glad i could help
Now your cycle is alomst over check Nitrates they should be quite high then the tank will be ready for fish once all the ammonia goes

4-5 ppm is very high and there is no evidence here that the cycle is almost done. There's no mention of a nitrite spike and nitrate can be found in tap water in many areas.

Thank u guys for all the help I really appreciate it. BTW wat do u think of the stocking list?

Flame Dwarf Gourami
Krib Cichlid
Rubbernose Pleco
3x Zebra Danios
5x Long fin Serpae Tetras

Anything else that would be cool?

So it's a 29 gallon?

The zebra danios really should be kept in larger groups. The serpaes are known fin nippers. IMO your krib and gourami are going to be stressed from all the activity and nipping. I'd choose calmer schooling fish for this setup. If you like red tetras, red phantoms would be a calmer choice than serpaes. Other options for tetras that come to mind are neons, cardinals, green fire, black phantom, kerri, lemon, von rio (or orange von rio, same species), glowlight, black neon. I'd recommend against diamond for a 29 just based on their potential adult size... we used to have some that were monsters, lol.

Or, you could try some of the smaller rainbows like signifer, threadfin, furcata, gertrudae.

Harlequin or espei rasbora would work nicely.

SM please read this
The ammonia has lowered to 4.0 in a day and then 0.75, with no sign of nitrite.Wat i think is that the original cycle was simply stalled and now its unstalled. But please any ideas?
Now there is a significant drop in ammonia there SM
There's no mention of a nitrite spike and nitrate can be found in tap water in many areas.
When you add filter media from another tank normally there is not a nitrite spike because the bacteria from the other tank has the bacteria that turn that into nitrate. A small spike may happen but nothing over .25 ppm

Like I said, the presence of 4-5 ppm ammonia can be enough to harm what bacteria comes in on the filter pad. I've cycled tanks with filter media many times and have seen nitrite spikes plenty of times.... but have never started with 4-5 ppm ammonia. Just because ammonia dropped to .75 (which isn't an increment measureable on most test kits anyway) doesn't mean a nitrite spike isn't on the way. Maybe the tank has almost cycled, maybe not. But still no evidence that it's "almost done".

Please don't assume that I didn't read the thread. Thanks. ;)

Last edited:
Thank u Severum Mama for the advice but the tanks ammonia is gone and the Stress Zyme worked wonders! It may not have helped for u but it certainly helped me. The 5 Zebra Danios are acclimating right now and I am thinking about replacing the Serpaes with Black Skirts.BTW not a reading of Nitrite.

The the filter media was able to work without being overwhelmed by the high ammonia. Good deal. I promise it was the media that did the trick, not the Stress Zyme. There are tons of those snake oil products out there.

Well either way the tanks cycled and I do appreciate ur warnings:). Its definitely better safe than sorry!

severum mama said:
The the filter media was able to work without being overwhelmed by the high ammonia. Good deal. I promise it was the media that did the trick, not the Stress Zyme. There are tons of those snake oil products out there.

I can only go by my recent experience with Nutrafin Cycle - it converted all my ammo to nitrate without growing either type of bacteria ( I know this as once I finished the course of nutrafin cycle, a day or so later I got elevated ammo but no nitrite or nitrate). In the long run it just delayed my cycle!!

In the end I waited for nitrites to show then seeded with a friends old filter media (he made me wait until it was time for him to change it!). The media kick started the 2nd bacteria and my cycle was done 6 days later.

I would never use the so called 'wonder' bacteria in a bottle again.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom