Cycling problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 37 gallon tank has been set up for almost 2 months.ive been fish less cycling using ammonia from ace hardware. About 3 weeks ago I thought I was cycled and lvls were 0,0,20 so I added 3 guppies, all died the next day.vafter that my nitrites were high. I went through another mini cycle and my lvls were good but nitrates were high so ivthink im almost done. today I did 3 pwc(25%,25%,50%) but can't get the nitrates down, they're still over 80. Should I use tetra safe start? How can I get this done? I am thinking about draining the tank and starting over. But I really want to just get some fish! Please help!!

My 37 gallon tank has been set up for almost 2 months.ive been fish less cycling using ammonia from ace hardware. About 3 weeks ago I thought I was cycled and lvls were 0,0,20 so I added 3 guppies, all died the next day.vafter that my nitrites were high. I went through another mini cycle and my lvls were good but nitrates were high so ivthink im almost done. today I did 3 pwc(25%,25%,50%) but can't get the nitrates down, they're still over 80. Should I use tetra safe start? How can I get this done? I am thinking about draining the tank and starting over. But I really want to just get some fish! Please help!!

Wow 2 months and still not cycled. What declorinator are you using. I would drain the tank totally, then refill with new water using Prime. And add some Seachem "Stability". Leave the lid totally off so the ammonia will evaporate.

API stress coat with plans to but seachem prim next. Is there no other options, or do I have to drain it?

API stress coat with plans to but seachem prim next. Is there no other options, or do I have to drain it?

Ya. Really no other way. If you put more chemicals in there that will be to much. And could do the opposite of what it's suppose to do.. So drain it, refill and throw in prime and get yourself some seachem stability.

Have you tested your tap water to ensure that some of the nitrates aren't coming from there? I'd do that first. If not, then since you have fish in the tank you could do a few 50% water changes over the course of a couple of days to get the nitrates down.

Oops sorry, I missed the part where all the guppies died. Well, test your tap water for nitrates as water changes should bring them down unless you have high nitrates in your tap. If not, try larger water changes---try draining the tank as much as you can and refill, that should help the levels immensely. You may need to do it again though if they are still over 10. You want nitrates as low as you can get them before adding fish.

Back
Top Bottom