Cycling Progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok well I have left my 10 gallon sitting empty for alil while while I was focusing on my 55 gallon. Still having trouble gettinig the amonia down in my 55, been doing water changes left and right, 50% each time.

I tested my 10 gallon today and it seems to be almost there, so I did a 75% water change and tested it agian. here are the results of both tests for my 10 gallon. I have 2 kinds of tests so I will post the results of both. Strips and Drops.

First Test - Before Water Change 2:30pm

Drops
Nitrite - between 3.3 - 33 (highest it goes on chart)
Amonia - 0

Strips
Nitrite - 10.0
Nitrate - between 20 - 40 (closer to 40)
GH - 75
KH - 80
PH - between 6.5 - 7.0

Second Test - After Water Change 4:00pm

Drops
Nitrite - between 3.3 - 33 (highest it goes on chart)
Amonia - 0

Strips
Nitrite - 5.0
Nitrate - between 20 - 40 (closer to 20)
GH - 75
KH - 80
PH - 7.2

So it looks to me like my 10 gallon is getting close, what steps should I take to finish off the process of my 10 gallon so I can transfer my fish back to it and work on getting my 55 gallon cycled. Since it looks like my 10 gallon is almost done I might be able to save the remaining fish I have left. Should I be cycled in the next day or two? Im wanting to hurry and move my fish so the amonia in the 55 dont kill them. I keep changing the water in my 55 and it doesnt seem like the amonia is going down at all, always the same as before when I test it.

EDIT: 8.23pm

ok did another water change trying to get the nitrites down, want to hurry and move my fish asap. here is the new results after the new water change

Drops
Nitrite - between 0.8 and 1.6

Strips
Nitrite - 1.0
Nitrate - between 0 - 20
GH - 75
KH - 80
PH - 7.2

didnt test for amonia since the last 2 tests I did on it had 0 for the results.

If there are no fish in the tank, you will actually cycle faster without the water changes. The water changes during cycling with fish are to save the life of the fish. You have fish in the 55 gallon? Hopefully you're doing water changes there?

I havn't read your previous posts, so I'm not sure what method you're using. Now that your ammonia is 0, make sure you're adding the same amount of fish food to the tank that you would if there were fish in it. This simulates the bioload of your fish, and keeps healthy the population of bacteria that tranform ammonia into nitrite. You're working on your second population now that moves nitrite into nitrate. You need to wait for your nitrite to drop below .5 before adding fish.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your cycle is only 1/2 complete. Generally this 2nd phase takes longer than the first. Steps you can take to speed up the cycle (no fish present) include increasing the tank temp (85-90F), decreasing the water level to get more oxgen in the tank (or adding an airstone), keeping the ammonia level slightly above undetectable (I like 1-2ppm), and keeping the lights off (unless you have plants).

If you have Prime (a dechlor) you can double dose the recommended level in your large tank to decrease the toxicity of the ammonia and nitrIte present. You will still read the levels on tests, but they are not toxic (note any new ammonia produced by the fish WILL be toxic). I would assume other dechlor products also can convert ammonia and nitrIte to less toxic forms but read your individual bottle to make sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom